Friday, October 9, 2009

That Orange Heart






Hi! I'm back from our little trip to Texas. That old navy man went to his "50th" class reunion in Meridian and had a great time. I visited my sister, who lives in McGregor (near Waco). My two brothers came also. One lives in Ft. Worth and the other lives in Corpus Christi. Our visit was long overdue, and I really appreciated them braving all the pouring rain to come see me. It rained nearly the whole time we were there. I'm the oldest of the four....sixteen months older than one brother, ten years older than my sister, and thirteen years older than my youngest brother. It was nice to see them, one of my nieces and one nephew too.

I managed to visit the flea market there...bought three things to add to my collections....a quilt, an apron and a lovely vintage lace hanky. Texas souvenirs, so to speak.

Before I left, I told you I would show you the Orange heart I made by request of my friend, Deb.
So, here it is. I had actually never made anything so totally orange before, so it was an experience finding embellishments in that color. Of course, one of my favorite things is hunting and gathering those embellishments, so I had great fun finding all the "ingredients" for this heart and, again, the ladybug charm provided by Deb.

Buttons, beads, embroidery and some crochet trim help to embellish this heart. I crocheted the trim myself, adding it to my simple crazy quilted heart. I mentioned in my last post that I beaded the edge of that fuchsia heart using a method I learned from Nancy Eha using her Three Bead Scalloped Edging. One of you commented, asking for more information. That particular edging is in her first book "Off the Beadin' Path" on page 50.

As always, I managed to embroider some leaves on this orange heart....one of my favorite things to do. So, do you like this one? I hope so.

Well, having been gone for a week, I am behind in my work....(when am I not, it seems?), so I'll go for now, but please stay tuned. Next week I will be having a giveaway for my birthday! Take care...pat

8 comments:

My name is Riet said...

What a lovely orange heart. You make your heart so beautiful.
Have a nice day

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of orange myself, but I LOVE your heart. It is so pretty. Wow, I never knew orange could look so good. you did a fantastic job!! Just gorgeous!

Dolores said...

In case you are at all interested, Piecework magazine has a contest for a needlework heart.
http://needlework.craftgossip.com/needle-arts-contest-is-ahead/2009/09/08/

Cindy said...

These are just gorgeous! Love me. You did an amazing job. And Waco? Heck gal, you were a stone's throw...wish I would have known, I would have driven over and harrassed ya! :D

-c
yapping cat

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Pat, it reminds me of a bright and fun sundress my mother wore when i was a girl. Happy colors!
xx
julie

StitchinByTheLake said...

Marie orange isn't one of my favorite colors but I think you just changed my mind - this is simply gorgeous! blessings, marlene

Unknown said...

Pat the orange heart is just, well I think i really need to say "elegant". I am not a fan of orange but looking at the heart it is not the orange that I am not a fan of it looks really beautiful. See that is what you do you make things look beautiful.

parasols and maryjanes said...

I just have to comment again (I commented on the black heart post)--bacause after reading back into your older posts that you are here also in Arkansas, also will be 65, love,love little embroid. hearts, have a cat, a long marriage, well, so many things in common. My daughter, Kelly's, favorite color is orange. Perhaps I should do something for her? Hmmm... Anyway, I'm happy to find you and will be following your blog.
If you have time, check out my little hearts.
Carol

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.