Monday, December 14, 2009

"A Vintage Black Lace Skirt"






In my last post, I mentioned that I would show you more of my 'finds' at the estate sale I was given a 'preview' of by my friend, Jessica. She is dear! She knows I love to use some of the things I 'find' in my work. Sometimes I actually use the pieces themselves...sometimes they inspire me to recreate them, sometimes they inspire me to take the essence of them and create a whole new piece of work. The invitation to preview the sale was brought about, really, by one item. When she saw this skirt, she thought of me (how nice is that?) and my love of old textiles. The rest is history.

Of course, she knew I'd buy it...and I did too. Another lovely $10 purchase! Is this simply beautiful or what? So, is it a skirt...overskirt or underskirt? A petticoat? I'm not sure at all about it, but just love it. It is in pretty bad condition...it's fragile, with several rips here and there. Jessica thought for sure I could use parts of it to include in other pieces of my work, but as I look at it now....I don't have the heart to cut it apart. At least not yet. I want to enjoy looking at it for while, taking my time to decide what to do with it.

Can you see how much longer it is in the back...and much fuller. I think this may have been used along with a bustle. Maybe. Or, maybe it just accomodated a person like me with a bit much in the hip area. It's a very graceful thing....I'm sure whoever wore it enjoyed it very much and felt quite elegant in it.

Whatever it's history...it lives with me now and the first use I'll put it to is having it as a 'decoration' Thursday when my friends come to visit for our monthly meeting. Quilts, beads, Christmas and a hundred year old garment showing itself off....what a fun day that will be!!!
You all have fun too....take care, pat

3 comments:

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

Pat can't wait to see the skirt up close and personal. Wouldn't you love to know the story of it? You can make up one with your "pretend" family pictures LOL

Gayle said...

The lace skirt is beautiful. Thank you for the fun post. :-)

Maggie Ann said...

What a beautiful skirt...how elegant and how rich must have been its owner!

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.