Monday, August 23, 2010

"Beads, Cake, Pets and Carol Ann"






Well, I've survived the last week with the two Richards...or, maybe they survived the week with me. At any rate, we are all tired, but wanting to get back to our normal routines. The brother-in-law is home safe, the old navy man has his tv back and I am back in the Nest. We're set.

Last Thursday, I did manage to escape from town and go to my friend, Carol Ann's house in North Little Rock. It was the August meeting day for our little group of beaders, quilters, knitters, etc. There are eleven of us.

I hadn't been in the house ten minutes when I spotted one of Carol Ann's latest creations. It's this pincushion, or pillow, or whatever she wants to call it. The pincushion/pillow/whatever it is, is about six inches square, the beaded fringe varies in length from about 1 inch long to five or six inches long. The fringe is thick with beading and it's heavy.....and gorgeous....and very tactile. I couldn't put it down. I LOVE IT!!! I lust after it!!! I am inspired to start one of my own.....just to add a few beads to every once in a while in between other projects. Thanks, Carol Ann, for letting me hold it nearly the whole time we were there...

Amongst her other talents, Carol Ann is a really good cook! She made a pound cake for us which you see here. I went into the kitchen before everyone knew there was a cake in there and snapped this photo. It was a beautiful cake!!! Bear in mind that I am not a 'sweets' person. So, if I tell you this cake was irresistible....then you must know it really was. Beautiful and irresistible....double whammy! She also made homemade chicken pot pie...a huge one....another 'over the top' item. Thank you, Carol Ann!

Carol Ann is quite creative and always busy. I don't think she sleeps. You can see her here showing me her fabric closet. The latest tip she gave...using large salad containers from Sam's Club to house her fabric pieces. A really neat idea. Rest assured, there is fabric in a few other places too. She makes things that require MANY beads, MANY yards of fabric, MANY yards of thread, etc. Like me, she likes some things that are tedious. She thinks they are simple...so 'no problem'...others think her work is too tedious for them to do...until she shows them they are wrong. I identify with her in that regard. Of course, they won't all have her drive to finish so many things, but they can do a version of some of it. She does all her quiltmaking on a longarm. That's where we differ. I admire her work very much though and wish I had her energy. You can check out Carol Ann's blog HERE.

There are pets in the house at Carol Ann's.....Mac, the huge dog....my friend. I don't know how big Mac really is, but I'm guessing he weighs in around 125 pounds or so. He's really big. And sweet. And he loves to be petted. So, he comes to me. I like him a lot. You can see us here.
Me and Mac....friends. There is another dog, Thelma. I didn't get a photo of her and she is more aloof, not so interactive, but she is a nice dog too.

There is a beautiful cat living in this house. At this very moment, I can't think of it's name...I always call it 'kitty.' Isn't this a beautiful cat? I love petting 'kitty' as lots of cats won't let you, but this one does. It's fun to be an 'animal person.' Well, ok, I don't think I would pet a snake or something like that...but dogs and cats...yes!

Thank you, Carol Ann, for a lovely day shared with our friends in your home! A good time was had by all......next month we meet at Brenda's......can't wait!!! take care out there...pat

10 comments:

Carol Ann Wilbourn said...

Hey Pat,
Thanks so much for the review of the day at my place. I to had a delightful day.
See you at Ferndale on the 10th, hopefully there will be more beads on the little pillow.
Love ya, Chic!

Sherry said...

Now I feel even worse about missing out on this obviously glorious day!

Sherry

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

You description of the day was perfect, as was the day. However you left out the part about "Kitty" knocking my sandwich off the counter and aiding and abetting Max in the eating of my lunch. But Carol Ann saved the day by sharing her Wonderful Chicken Pot Pie. Thank you Kitty.

Anne said...

Savored every word! Love the pincushion/pillow loaded with beaded trim! What a wonderful friend Carol Ann seems to be. That is a gorgeous cat. If I had been there, I would have had to have a piece of that cake--it looks delicious!

Vivian said...

It sounds like you ladies had a great time just having fun.

fiberdoodles said...

Oh a day at Carol Ann's is always a fun one! What an amazing little pincushion. She amazes me just as you do ;0)

Take care my friend!

Vicki Boster said...

What a wonderful visit - oh my! That cake -!!! I love the way you tell a story - so "almost like you are just right there" for the reader.

Beautiful bead work - amazing!

Vicki

Francien said...

First off my dear Pat...i was for a few days in Germany with my kids!!My son came to pick me up for a long weekend and we had so much fun...it was so nice to see them and hug them... i mean my son my dear daugther in law and ofcourse my beautiful grandson...his dogs...his new house..well..everything...and it will get me going for a long time to come...
And it seems your day was a lovely one too!!and that pincusion...i love it...that is really a juwel..i can see me making one out of beautifull fabric and beads and just lay it by itself on the cupboard....Carol Ann`s one is so stunning!!love howmuch beads she has used and many more to come..the fabric is very beautiful..she inspired me there too...but i will wait untill you started one.. because i know that yours will be as great as her`s..and that cake must have tasted so well..it looks like it did not lasted long!!
greetings Francien.

FredaB said...

What a wonderful day you had. I just wish I had some cqfriends in my area to spend time with.

I love her little pillow and took a pic of it to put in my good ideas file. I have so many beads of odd sizes that would work so well on something like this. her choice of fabric for it was great becase it just sparkles with color.

Hugs

FredaB

FredaB said...

What a wonderful day you had. I just wish I had some cqfriends in my area to spend time with.

I love her little pillow and took a pic of it to put in my good ideas file. I have so many beads of odd sizes that would work so well on something like this. her choice of fabric for it was great becase it just sparkles with color.

Hugs

FredaB

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.