Tuesday, July 26, 2011
A Yo-Yo Garland Wreath
Today I thought I'd show you a wreath that I made long ago. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does because it has been on display in my home (off and on) since 1994 when I made it. Pat C., the lady that 'toured' my home and studio a few weeks ago remarked on it, so I figured if she enjoyed seeing it, well, maybe you would too.
It all started with that wreath. I found it in Hobby Lobby on a shopping trip.....and it's shape got my imagination going, so I brought it home. One day, while trying to come up with something different I could 'write' on....I thought of the wreath...and this is the result. Figuring out how to embroider a garland, write a verse, and attach it to the center of a wreath was a real experience, calling for some creativity on my part, but, I managed to do it and have really enjoyed having it.
Sometimes what we can think of to do is quite amazing.
I used a plain piece of muslin and DMC embroidery floss to make this....using the Fly Stitch for the leaves and a simple Chain Stitch for the vine. The flowers are yo-yo's which I then stitched into little petals. It was easy....after gathering the yo-yo, with your needle and thread, come up from the back into the center of the yo-yo, carry the thread over the edge of the y0-yo into the back and pull the threaded needle to the front again. Repeat and this makes one petal. You can make as many petals as you'd like. Five is a good number and is what I did. I think I used two or three different sizes of circles to make the yo-yo's, but at this point in time I can't remember and there is only a slight variation in the finished flowers on this piece....so, really, you could use all one size.
Oh, and I need to tell you that sewing the beads in the center of each flower is what anchors the flowers to the background. Also, I used a permanent pen to do the writing. (Always make sure your pen is permanent before doing this....scribble on a small scrap of fabric. Take it to the kitchen sink and put it under running water. You can even soak it for a bit if you feel the need. If the ink runs...it's not permanent. I always test pens having found many times that just because they say they are permanent....doesn't mean they are.)
I used a piece of cardboard to make the embroidery stable....covering it completely by sewing the front and back muslin together around the edges. I also attached ribbon on four sides, looping it over pieces of the wreath to hold it in place. You can see that on the back of the wreath. I also added a hanging loop of ribbon.
It's certainly an 'original' piece and I'm really surprised it's in fairly good condition, considering it's age. If I were to do it over today....I'd want to use acid free cardboard or acid free foam core for the inside.
Every once in a while, I get the idea I should get rid of this wreath....but, then I look at the stitching and think..."Nah!!!" I really did enjoy making this piece. Ok, y'all stay cool out there! pat
PS. Just so you know....I found the verse on an antique card....and thought it would be marvelous on this wreath.