Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"The Pumpkin Shell"






And, now, for something completely different! OK, I know it is over a hundred degrees, HOT and HUMID.....and I'm showing you a collage that looks like FALL. No, I've not transported myself (and maybe you) to an alternate universe, although it isn't a bad idea....I'm simply showing you the latest project I have finished at the downtown studio.

It's a gift. At our guild retreat in September, I wanted to surprise one of my friends with a small piece of my work. It's an 8" x 10" collage. Late last night, I decided I'd post her surprise instead. I know she sometimes reads this blog and I thought it might be fun to REALLY surprise her this way. Of course, if she sees it here, she still has to wait to get it. Well, so OK, it's kind of a weird way to surprise someone, but, if she doesn't see it here...she'll still be surprised at the retreat. Did that make sense?

My friend has a farm. She has chickens and other farm animals. We were talking one day about such things and she told me she now has a little 'place' out back where she can work. I haven't seen it....like most of my friends....she does not live near me....but I knew she was pleased with it and so, I thought, I'd make her a little collage with the name of her place on it. Don't we all know how important it is to have our own SPOT? So.....here is "The Pumpkin Shell."

I painted a canvas, then embellished it with painted wallpaper and paper napkins. Then, I made the frame to 'match.' Did you hear me say I LOVE making these frames?? My friend's birthday is October 31, so that and the idea of pumpkins led to my color scheme for this piece. (Now, friend...and, you know who you are...I hope you like it!)

So, that's it for this post....hope you are staying cool out there...safe and happy too! pat

PS. Yes, I still have not managed to figure out how to show my photos in the order I meant to present them...hopefully one day soon that will happen!

7 comments:

Amy Munson said...

Love the painting. The combo of paint on the lace along with the texture. Just love it.

Christy said...

What a wonderful surprise to someone! And tell your friend that I love the name for her little retreat. How cute! On another issue ... my cousin used to have problems posting pics online. She said she had to post the last ones first. Does that help at all? LOL. Keep cool, Pat. This heat is supposed to break very soon. Hope so!!
Christy
botm2@yahoo.com

http://thankfullga447 said...

It is beautiful, what great fibers you use. Amazing, yes it is very very hot.

Julie Fukuda said...

Nice piece for fall. I love those checkers along the bottom and the frame too. My birthday is also October 31st, so no wonder I love it!

Anne said...

She will treasure her gift! Love the texture, color, and striking decorative elements. Nice frame.

Jim Gatling said...

How much is a ticket to your alternaye universe????? I have always wanted to go there. Love your work, love you, would love rain if we had any.

Shannon Young said...

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Opened my email this morning, saw your blog post, realized I was one of the luckiest people in the wide world!!!! I am completely unworthy of this gorgeous gift, but I have to say I can't wait to get my greedy lil hands on it. :-) Receiving one of your art pieces bestows an honor on me that is UNPARALLED IN MY UNIVERSE. I'm going to do my happy dance now - thankfully there will be no video of that. Thank you, thank you, thank you, my generous, talented, friend!!!!!! :-)))

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.