Monday, November 24, 2014

With a Thankful Heart


 I found this photograph at the flea market.  It looks like a copy of a book page...which is why these photos are not so good.  But, the photo of this lady spoke to me.  I jumped at the opportunity to buy it.  A dollar.  I looked at it for a very long time.  And, all I could think of was this....because she lived like this....I can live as I do.  I feel for her.  And, I know that she and all like her,  went through what they did so I can have my cute little place where I have just moved.    Just look at her.  What was easy about her life?  What was fun?  What was comfortable?  And, there she is....sitting in the sun...making the best of her day.  We all know there was no light inside that little sod house...no doubt she is happy to see the sun....not only for the light but also the warmth.   And, I'm sitting here at home...warm...comfortable...I owe her.   And, her husband.  As I owe mine.  Yes, this Thanksgiving, I will be remembering her...and the old navy man. 


 I am full of gratitude this week.  Happy to have a home, the creature comforts.  Children who will spend time with me this Thanksgiving week.  We will be remembering many things this year as we spend the holiday together.  My son will arrive from California late tomorrow.  My daughter and son-in-law will be making our Thanksgiving dinner.  There will be tears and there will be hugs.  But, I, quietly, will also spend some time thinking of this lady.  She is an inspiration, along with all like her.


Wherever you are, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  A very Happy Thanksgiving.  And, I hope you 'get' what I am trying to say.  We are all so lucky to have our homes and our loved ones and our friends, and our country. 

Do take care, stay warm, laugh as much as you can, give big hugs and give Thanks.  We owe it to all those who came before.

Until next time,  ♥  pat 

PS.  I bet she was a quiltmaker!



15 comments:

Lynn B said...

I find old photos fascinating, they are full of "I wonder".
Hope you have a lovely thanksgiving!

Patti said...

Pat, I do get what you are trying to say. And you are right, we need to be thankful for all the "things" we have. Take care and have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family.

Sheila said...

We all see to take a lot for granted. We definitely have a lot to be thankful for. Hope you have a very good Thanksgiving and I know you will be happy to see your son.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

The key is to be grateful everyday. Somedays we need a reminder to actually think grateful thoughts. Since this pic brought grateful thoughts to your mind, if you place it where you can see it everyday, it will be your reminder.

The pic is interesting. There is a lot to wonder about in it. It looks European. For me, perhaps a Polish woman during one of the wars taken by a photographer after WW1. It's fun to speculate.

Happy Thanksgiving. Best wishes for the most wonderful family visit.
xx, Carol

Sherry said...

Pat, you really touched me with this one! I love the picture and marvel at the hardships this woman must have lived through. As you can imagine, I'm also thrilled to see what I'm sure is her kitty near the door behind her. And, of course, she was a quilter! Thanks for reminding me of yet another reason to be thankful.

P.S. I'll be sending a link to my cousin in Minnesota!

Sherry said...

Wanted to add that when I enlarged the picture to better see this dear woman's kitty, I was struck by her long, delicate fingers and the serenity of her expression. Such grace...

Julie Fukuda said...

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet ...
At least my dark little rabbit hutch has a greenhouse on the roof.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Pat, thinking of you this Thanksgiving and giving thanks for your friendship from afar. I know how hard this holiday is for you without your "old Navy man" by your side. Enjoy your family, enjoy your memories and know you're in my heart this season.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful - I am grateful for my beautiful daughters and my amazing grandaughter - and that I live in a warm house with space to move - also that I quilt and sew for pleasure and not necessity ... Happy thanksgiving to all in America

Anonymous said...

This article was shared and i think a lot of people will benefit. Thank you for sharing. I will be with my brothers and sisters and their families. I wish my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren could be here too. This is what is important being with someone who you love and thanking God for them. Thankful for friends on face book and the ones like you who share.

Connie said...

So very true. We are who we are due to this lady and all who followed her, her husband and all who followed him. We should be thankful for all we have and all comforts, friends, and most of all, family.

Anonymous said...

I spent so much time looking at this woman's face I didn't even see the cat by the door. You can see she is old before her time. She probably raised children, and helped her husband and somehow survived in the most lonely and difficult of circumstances. The only thing she may have had was hope for a better future. There is so much in this picture that makes me feel so very grateful for the life that I have. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving with family from a Canadian quilter.

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, I came to your blog referred by Caron Mosey, and I must say I did 'get' what you meant here. I loved the picture of that lady. I can see why you looked at it a long time and thought about her life, her circumstances. What a difference between the way she lived and the way we live now! Makes one very grateful at this time of Thanksgiving. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

We need to remember where we came from and be thankful for where we are. Our troubles seem pointless compared to our ancestors.

Daisy Debs said...

Bless you x

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.