Wednesday, November 4, 2015

When a Garage Becomes a Studio

 Things have been rather strange around here for the last few weeks and for the life of me, I couldn't think of a thing to post about...but I did take some photos of the garage/studio a few weeks back and decided they would have to do til something better comes along.

Some of you may remember that I moved to a patio home a year ago August, leaving my wonderful backyard studio.  It has been tricky trying to find a place for my various collections of materials to work with, so I decided my fabulous work table, made by the old navy man, just for my studio...would become the center of a work space in the garage.  The table is four feet by eight feet and something I was just never going to get rid of.  So...here you see what I have done.  My son calls it a 'store.'  And, yes, my car does live in the space to the right of the table.   

I can cut out large pieces of fabrics, etc., on the table...but it is also to be used for painting fabric and making collaged canvases, well, anything I decide to do really.  And, of course, STORAGE!


When I moved, I also brought along my big chalkboard.  This is the only spot on the property where it made any sense to hang it....and I love to write quotes on it from time to time.  These are the latest ones I felt the need to "showcase." I like driving into the garage and getting a little inspiration:

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."  
Confucius 

"The best thing to hold onto in life is each other." 
Audrey Hepburn

"Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive,
it isn't."  
Richard Bach

"The pieces that I chose were based on one thing only - a gasp of delight.  Isn't that the 
only way to curate a life?  To live among things that make you gasp with delight?"
Maira Kalman, My Favorite Things

"There is only one valuable thing in art: the thing you cannot explain."
Georges Braque



These aren't the best photos....but, then, what difference does it make?  You get the idea.


 I do so love piddling around in all this stuff...but it does make me think....so much to do - so little time.


Now, I must tell you...the place where I embroider, sew, and work on my computer is in the house.
I'll show you that sometime....just not today.  It is a place that works for me because I live alone, but you may find it weird....it's my bedroom/office/sewing studio.  And, then, there is also storage everywhere (thank goodness this house has lots of closets!).  One of the hazards of leaving a large backyard studio is that you have to FIND places for things where they have never been before.  Weird for some...but I call it Bird Nest Cottage and my own personal sanctuary.  See you soon.

From Bird Nest Cottage

Until next time,
♥♥♥

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You had me thinking about how many times I have moved "My Room"
from 9 x 9...to 10 x 20...to 12 x 26...back to 9 x 9. Every time the kids moved back in I gave up my space. Now I keep it in cramped 9 x 9 where I Compute and Sew. I hand stitch in my recliner next to Terry while he watches TV. I've made so many accommodations for everyone else over the years it can make you depressed to think about it if you let it. I choose to think how grateful I am that I was able to help the kids when they needed it. I think I should sort and donate that which I may never use..but heck who knows where my mind will take me in years to come. I may be sorry if I can't find what I know I had, lol.
xx, Carol

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love love your post today. A great spot to do your creativity, so organized. I love the table your husband made and you get the breezes from outside. Super place.

AR quilter said...

Nice chalkboard. Sure glad it's loved!!!

LouAnne said...

Your post today came at just the right time for me. We moved into a newish home in GA this past July after shipping two PODS and driving 2 cars from No.CA to GA to live closer to 2 of our girls. The home we found had a partially finished 1700 sq ft. basement and recently we got the walls finished and painted. I can finally start to unpack my studio which will be in the middle of 3 rooms down there. I have had my "old teacher/coach" putting together shelving for the room and am slowly unpacking boxes. In the 1499 sq. ft.CA house I had two rooms for my use and somehow I am overwhelmed as to the amount of "stuff" I moved here. Every box I open is a little surprise. I believe I have close to the amount you have in 1/2 of your garage. I do crazyquilting, regular quilting, embroidery, some crafts and miniatures too (that's another room). When I saw your table my first thought was to ask where it came from. What a treasure he made for you!

Christy said...

Hey, Pat. Wow, Honey, I wondered what you did with all that stuff from the Nest. I can't believe you organized well enough to still get your car in the garage. lol. I'm glad you have a place for it, though. Enjoy yourself! Talk atcha later. (Oh, by the way, both my eyes are done and I can see!! Yay.)
botm2@yahoo.com

Julie Fukuda said...

It really looks nice all set up. I'll bet it was hard to find places for everything you had in your little garden nest.
When we moved back to our little rabbit hutch there were so many things I didn't want to part with but had no place to put. I am always struggling with the things I did keep ... and there is no garage or even a carport.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.