Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Trees as Inspiration


I LOVE trees!  I love this photograph, taken in the backyard of the house I last lived in with the Old Navy Man.  We had two acres there.  This tree lived right smack in the middle of the acreage.  I have taken photos of it in all kinds of weather and all hours of the day.  I sometimes would take a chair and right about where I was standing when I took this photo....I would sit and pass away a little time.  Sometimes, the Old Navy Man would sit with me.  Just looking and enjoying the scene.  I wanted to post this photo today....one, because I loved that scene,
two, because I've been in a 'remembering mood' lately and three, because Fall will return here soon.  
(Though I don't live there any more, I do like remembering this view.)

With a blog post in mind, I went in search of an appropriate quote to use.  You know I love doing that.  Never know what you will find on your search, but find something I did.  I have a book in which I write down quotes, when I find them, just to remember.  This one really spoke to me today.

"I LOOK OUT THE WINDOW SOMETIMES TO SEEK THE COLOR OF THE SHADOWS AND THE DIFFERENT GREENS IN THE TREES, BUT WHEN I GET READY TO PAINT I 
JUST CLOSE MY EYES AND IMAGINE A SCENE." 
 Grandma Moses



With that in mind, here are some 'scenes' I have stitched over the years....all inspired by where I lived and the trees around me.  And, Grandma Moses, who also inspired me.  (If you have visited this blog very long, you have seen these hand-appliqued and embroidered 'scenes.'  THANKS  for looking at them just one more time!)  

I said I'd be showing a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt next, but I just had to post this today...and one more will be coming, probably on Thursday, then, the quilt over the weekend.  Thank you for your patience as you kindly follow me through the meandering trails I seem to take.  So, Thursday, then?

from
BIRD NEST COTTAGE
until next time,
♥♥♥

6 comments:

Cindy P said...

I love visiting with you. I wish we lived closer.

Hugs
Cindy

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Trees are so wonderful. We sit outside by the pond and gaze up to the trees to watch for birds and squirrels and watch what they are up to. We lost our best tree to a storm last year and it is soooo missed. I have dozens of stitched trees saved on Pinterest. I love stitching trees.

Hope all is well with you, friend. I have been laying low.
xx, Carol

sandi s said...

I love that picture of the view you once had. I love trees too and have quite a few in my backyard. The squirrels are in abundance and entertain my dogs for ages. Your stitching is beautiful! Hugs, Sandi

Jenny said...

Good Morning Pat....

I absolutely LOVE trees as well. We have one in our backyard that I love to look at no matter what the season. It is right out of my kitchen window and I can be found gazing out at quite frequently! I think in every house I have lived in there have been favorite trees that have brought many happy, quiet memories! Nothing like a walk down memory lane, I have always loved to do that! As for your stitched " scenes " they are some of my favorite things that you post! Every time you share a picture of one of them I always tell myself I will try this! I just love them so much! Thank you for sharing them again!

I also loved your " all things blue" post! I love blue and you can find many blue things throughout my house. Your blue items were just lovely...oh the teacup, the teapot, the little spoon...I loved them all. I made a blue and white sawtooth star quilt and it has always been one of my favorites! Oh yes...my love of blue...

Sending hugs and love to you my friend! Happy Wednesday!

Julie Fukuda said...

I grew up on the edge of a forest. The trees were my comfort and my teachers and my inspiration. I miss that forest here in Tokyo where even street trees are cut for no reason other than to widen the street so more noisy traffic can pass.

A bird in the hand said...

I love trees. They are the subject of many of my paintings. I walk among them daily, being lucky enough to live on the edge of a tree-filled park and ravine.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.