Sunday, September 9, 2018

Rescue the Perishing, Part 3: A Dresden Plate Quilt


 A couple of weeks ago, I mended this quilt for a friend.  He had mentioned this quilt to me...saying it had just one hole in it and he'd love to know how to repair it.  Oh, my goodness gracious.  This project had my name all over it.  Because I knew I could actually 'rescue' this quilt and it wouldn't take a huge amount of time to do it, I asked if he'd like me to do it.  With stipulations....he would have to trust me with his lovely quilt, I would have to do it as I saw fit, and I would have to be creative with the fabrics used to mend it, as I have a few, but not a lot of fabrics from the 30's.  A trusting soul, he agreed to it and I brought it home.


 It's a wonderful vintage DRESDEN PLATE quilt.....and in great condition...well, except for that big, glaring hole right there!


I just wonder how that hole got there, don't you?


 I'm sure there is a story there somewhere.


 All I can say is we were lucky the hole is where it is.....if it had been in the sashing of this quilt, it would be much harder to mend so it wouldn't show....but, as it is...well, these print fabrics can hide a multitude of sins......including this hole.  I went to my 30's fabric stash (which is slim) and chose a pink fabric to use.  Also, a piece of white for the background.  A bit brighter than the original, but the closest I could get to matching.


 Oh, and let me say, that one white piece on the right side of the plate....isn't a faded piece or a mended piece.  The quiltmaker actually did use a white fabric for that.  It's odd, I think.  Maybe all  she had.  Sometimes we have to do crazy things to make something work out.  I'm glad it worked for her, as her quilt is beautiful.  I tried to make the mend as invisible as possible.  If you look closely though, you will see the mending.


 So, look closely.  The white patch on the background.  And, a pink piece between the yellow and lavender pieces.  See it?  I unsewed* the lavender and yellow pieces (old torn piece was a white/blue print) removed the white/blue altogether, mended the white background, and then appliqued the new pink along with those on each side to finish the top.  I then, added some batting and patched the back of the quilt, returned to the front and requilted where necessary.  And, there you have it.  Done.


I'm pleased. 


 And, here is the back.  You get to find the patching here yourself.  Not perfectly done.  But, pretty good.  And, now the quilt is whole again.  And, ready to use.  Charles, I hope you enjoy owning (and also using) this beauty!!!

Another rescued quilt.  I love it!!!

* Let me say....I prefer "unsewed" over the word "unpicked."  I can't exactly say why, but maybe because I think it's almost as hard to unsew as it is to sew it in the first place.  And, oh my, I also love to unsew as much as I love to sew.  To unpick, well, it just doesn't sound fun to me.  That's just me though, so I say suit yourself.  In any rescue work concerning a textile, there will be lots of sewing,unsewing and resewing.  All  can be challenging and  tedious, but also FUN!

My next post will show you a very happy quilt top.  I think you will enjoy seeing it!

until next time
BE WELL
from 
BIRD NEST COTTAGE



7 comments:

sandi s said...

Hi Pat, you did an excellent job of repairing that quilt. Hugs,

Betsy in Birmingham said...

If you hadn't pointed out the area after you rescued, I never would have known which piece it was. You are simply amazing!

Cindy in Kansas said...

Hi, Pat. I hope you are well. I was fortunate enough to have gotten 2 Dresden Plate quilts that my grandmother made. They had been quilted, but never bound. I put the binding on them and gave one to my daughter. I used mine sparingly and it's held up really well. My daughter used hers all the time and after washing it many times, the fabric in many of the blocks is just gone. The bright yellow centers and the white hexies that make up the background of the quilt are fine, which leads me to believe this is fabric she purchased in the 70's. The feedsack fabric that we love so well was just not made to hold up to machine washing and drying. The weave is a lot looser than what we have now, that's the only thing I can think of.

Cindy in Kansas said...

I just realized MY quilts are Grandmother's Flower Garden, not Dresden Plate. I wonder what my grandmas would have thought of rotary cutters and acrylic templates and fancy rulers? And acrylic.

Amy Munson said...

Pat,
I always enjoy following your adventures in repairing a vintage quilt. Click on over to my Instagram and scroll down to see what I did with some vintage pieced Dresden plates and old lace doilies. I am so thrilled with out it turned out I am already planning a second quilt salvaging some vintage pieces in my stash.

www.instagram.com/amy_munson/

Best,
Amy

Laurie said...

Pat!!!! You are brilliant!! You did an amazing job, and if you hadn't pointed out where the repair was, I never would have guessed! Thank-you for sharing your mending process, yes!

Jennifer Gail said...

Something almost magical about an old quilt. I could look for hours at all the fabric choices. Good job

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.