Sunday, January 27, 2019

Gatherings


Other than the actual stitching of quilting, embroidery, beading and so forth...there is nothing more fun to me than finding all the things required to make them, then gathering them together in a basket, a box or a bowl, or on a platter, well, just any decorative item that would hold them, then display them around the house.
I find them to be beautiful and I look at them over and over.  Eventually, some of them are used to create my various projects and when they are...I enjoy them again in the stitching.


I've taken to wrapping DMC embroidery floss in pieces of fabrics...pre-selected for an as yet designed project.  It's FUN!


Just pick a color scheme and shop your house for any and all items calling your name that day.


You can tell from these photos exactly what kind of things I like to collect.  In the upper right square of this box, you can see a piece of knitting rolled up.  I knitted that with crochet cotton in one of my favorite colors....I don't really remember, but I think I used a size 1 or 2 knitting needle.  So tiny.
I've no idea what I will do with it, but it will tell me what it's supposed to be one of these days!


I've tons of buttons, just took a few from my collections to add to this cute little divided box made from yardsticks.  I love that blue one with a star.


 I loved these glass leaves....and clear glass buttons too.


 Here there are two crowns.  Hard to tell here.  I like to find them...reminds me that my daughter calls me 'the queen of everything."


 Here are two very old bodkins, given to me long ago, by my friend Jim.  I treasure them, of course.
And, who finds rayon seam binding labeled with their own last name?  


 A little pincushion made by my friend, Deb,  another treasure from the past.


 One roll of embroidery floss wrapped in fabric, one in a vintage dinner napkin.  And, an odd cotton thread wrapped in lace.


 Just seeing them makes me want to stitch something.  I'm trying very hard to get back to doing more of that....but the vision issues get keep getting in my way.  As it goes now, no stitching until afternoon and I've turned into a real 'night person.'  Isn't it always something?


 I've never been able to tat.  I have tried.  Over and over.  One instructor once told me to stick with what I know and quilt.   So, I buy tatting whenever I see it at the flea.
You can use it for a thousand things.


There's that piece of knitting again.  I just love it...not to even mention how much I LOVE Perle Cotton.  I once quilted two quilts with Size 12 Perle Cotton in black...Seriously, what fun that was!


 And, this house I call a 'cottage' is loaded with the kind of stuff shown here.

There are buttons and threads, fabrics and beads to make flowers and trees.  Really, whatever I please.
My cup does runneth over.

until next time,
BE WELL
from 
Bird Nest Cottage

 





8 comments:

Shortbread and Ginger said...

A lovely collection beautifully displayed.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, you are SO organized. I am too, but it still gets out of control sometimes. I have been AWOL in blogland. I hope you didn't think I deserted you.
xx, Carol

Jenny said...

Good Morning Pat...

Isn’t collecting fun? I love seeing all of your treasures! I had to smile when I saw your divided box made from yardsticks. Scott made me a few of them and I too hold floss and sewing things in them. He also made a little chest of drawers that sits on a shelf in my room that I treasure!

Tatting is beyond me as well. I don’t know why but I am taking that advice and sticking to what I know...lol!

It will be fun to see what projects are made from all of these treasures! Sending hugs and love your way❤️❤️

Joyce Smithson said...

Love everything you post, we are kindred spirits, I miss your friend, Jim s blog.

Sherry said...

I adore this post! But you knew I would. Thanks for such a splendid batch of eye candy!

Sherry in Little Rock

sandi s said...

Hi Pat, I love seeing all your treasures! You have the best things. Hope your doing well. Hugs,

Anne said...

Your daughter is right. You are the queen of everything. I love your collections and the creative way you display them. Not only are they works of art, they inspire artworks yet-to-be.

I, too, have tried to tat without success — yet. I’m fortunate to have tatting my husband’s grandmother made. I treasure each intricate piece and imagine her calloused fingers working thread with a shuttle into loops and chains. Thanks for sharing your treasures.

Christy said...

Some kids have all the cool stuff. haha Enjoy, Pat.
botm2yahoo.com

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.