Thursday, August 5, 2010

"She Walks in Beauty"






I'm currently in the midst of making something for a friend in India.....and you'll be seeing it soon. It isn't a huge project, but does take some time. I thought I'd be showing it to you before the weekend, but no...once again...it is taking me longer than I thought. So, meantime, I thought you might enjoy seeing this collage.

Even making a collage takes me quite a while....as I have to stand at my worktable and 'figure' things out. Have you noticed that I am NOT a very spontaneous person? I'm always 'figuring.' This 12" x 12" collage came about because my friend, Jim, gave me this vintage print of a bride. It was not in good shape, but even back then, I knew one day I would use it for 'something.' What, I had no idea. So, it was saved until now. (Well, actually, it is still saved, as I made a copy of it to use for this collage.) Back when Jim gave this lovely lady to me....I knew nothing about collage. Now, I know 'just enough' to be dangerous.

The minute I received this gift, the poem "She Walks in Beauty" by Lord Byron popped into my head. (I've no idea how that happens.) I orginally thought I would copy her on fabric and embroider something, somehow. It never happened. The other day I decided she would make a pretty nice collage, so I set about finding the appropriate flowers, etc., in paper napkin form. I wrote the poem on a piece of white tissue paper, found several words with 'beauty' in the dictionary, etc., painted a canvas with the background colors, and made this collage. Well, now...I KNOW it's not perfect...but it was FUN. If you click to enlarge, you can see that I've added some butterflies here and there. Not so simple to cut these tiny things out of napkins, to tell the truth. I love how her hand looks with the butterfly hovering near it. I've put several around the piece. I also really like the way the crystals highlight the candles. When the light is right...well, you know what that does. The flowers are from several different napkins.

So, there you are. Another new thing inspired by something old. How I love that!!! And, when I get the urge, I can still print her on fabric and embroider to my heart's content. Thanks, again, Jim! In a couple of days, or so, you will see what I have been sewing.....well....it involves paint too, so I hope you will look forward to seeing it. Take care out there. pat

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow the collage is stunning, I LOVE the bride, that is a gorgeous print. Soft and delicate. You made it into gorgeous piece.

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing piece:)


Ann Flowers
flowerscrazyq@gmail.com

Sherry said...

Very beautiful, Pat!

Christine said...

Hi Pat ! Your bride is just so beautiful, you certainly have complemented her beautifully with the flowers and the setting. I wish my own handwriting was as beautifully flowing as yours, it really adds something special to this piece. Thanks so much for sharing,
Hooroo,
Christine in shiverry Sydney Australia

Barbara C said...

This is so pretty, and I like the way you paired the poem with the image. It's nice that you used your own beautiful handwriting in this collage.

FredaB said...

You may not think it is perfect bu i sure looks great to me. The picture of the bride is beatiful.

Hugs

FredaB

Robin said...

Pat, The collage is amazing! You are sooo talented! Thank you for sharing. Hugs, ~Robin~

Vivian said...

I love this collage. Your brain must be spinning all of the time.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.