Friday, July 3, 2015

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! Celebrate with a Flag Quilt


HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!


If you have visited this blog before, then you've seen this quilt several times, but I'm hoping you will still enjoy seeing it.   I made it for a class, way back in 2001.   It measures 24 inches x 36 inches. 


 It was pieced together on my Bernina sewing machine, but the applique and quilting were done by hand...my favorite way of making quilts, for now and always.


If you look closely, you can see the 'feathers' and curving lines of the quilting stitches.  Since it is a flag, I wanted some movement in the quilting design. 


 Don't ask me how long it took to quilt this little flag quilt, as it's a little detail I don't care to know, so I don't keep track of the hours.  If I actually kept track of that kind of thing, I'd probably never make anything.  I prefer to enjoy the process and realize that it 'takes a long time.'  Actually, every quilt I've ever made was stitched in little short segments of time, squeezed into whatever else I had to do in a day.  Just like everyone else.  On occasion, I TRY to keep track of my time, for instance, if I intend to sell something I've made....but, really,  I love the process of making something out of a bit of fabric and a needle and thread, so it's all a labor of love on my part, no matter how long it takes.


 More stitching.


And, a bit more.  This photo is kind of blurry...so sorry.  I have to say, and I haven't said it in a very long time...when I am quilting, I take one stitch at a time.  I don't put a lot of stitches on my needle and then pull them through the fabric.  I never could get the hang of that, preferring, instead, to do it my own way.


I love the fabric I chose for the back of the flag.  Just a gorgeous piece of fabric.


I like the stitches on the back to look almost as good as those on the front...if you can tell from this photo.  You do remember I'm very obsessive-compulsive, right? Yeah.  It's a burden.


And, now, the quilt label.  Written on a very hot summer day.  I ironed the fabric to a sheet of freezer paper to keep it nice and smooth as I wrote, something I've been recommending for years.  And, there you have it....my flag quilt. Loved making it back then....and sharing it with you now as I celebrate the 4th of July.
 
  

 And, out front....Old Glory...a beautiful sight here at a different home, under different circumstances, but, as always, waving proudly. 

LONG MAY SHE WAVE!

Have a very Happy and Safe 4th of July weekend America!!!

from Bird Nest Cottage

Until next time,
♥♥♥






6 comments:

LindaSonia said...

Beautiful quilt!

Sheila said...

Happy 4th to you. I don't think I've seen that quilt before, but love it. Just beautiful!

krayolakris said...

Just beautiful! Hooray for hand sewing too! Happy 4th!

Julie Fukuda said...

Great little quilt and great story to go with it.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Happy 4th. The quilt is beautiful. I love the back as well. The entry way to your new home is lovely. We're having a hard time whipping the place into shape this year. We have some sun and 80 degree dry weather so perhaps it will inspire us to get out there.
xx, Carol

Unknown said...

It's just perfect. I'm inspired.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.