Monday, February 23, 2015

A Little Book Bag


And, how did this little bag end up on one of my posts intended to be about hearts during the month of February?  Well.  There IS one heart on it!  Other than that, it is what I made yesterday.  As you know, I haven't sewn much the last few years and getting back 'into making' is taking some time.  I'm a bit shaky with a needle, as you will see, but it is kind of a cute project.   I guess you could say "a little project with a heart!"

  

This is how it all began...a little fabric gift from a friend.  I LOVE this piece of fabric, so I'm showing you both sides of it.  A tiny bag, about 4" x 6."  I looked at it a good while...over several days, wondering what I could do with it.  I wanted it to "say something."  And, I wanted to make something that didn't take the rest of my life.

  

But, what?  (Here is the other side of the little bag...love this fabric!)

  

So, this is what I thought it could "say" after deciding it would make a nice Book Bag for my little Moleskine notebooks...also a gift from a friend several years ago.  I have been drawing my beaded edging patterns in these little 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" notebooks.  Mostly ones used on my pincushions, and it seemed to make sense to make a bag to keep them together.  And, so here we are!

  

 Of course, I had to add a heart!   And, French Knots are an easy way to make a heart.  I have not, it seems, become too shaky to make French Knots, but the Backstitch words...well, it's obvious I need to practice those.  And, I will.

  

I thought you might want to see some of my beading sketches.  They aren't great, just enough to help me remember exactly what edgings I have done.  The one above is a tassel.

  

I'm not much in the drawing department, but these are just to remind me of what I have done, not to be great drawings.

  

Here's another....I wouldn't even need these if I still had all the pieces I used these on...but they are all living with other people, so it's nice to be able to see what I did in case I want to repeat one or two of these edgings someday.

  

 I used a piece of vintage linen for this little 'cuff' on the bag.  I love this Needlelace edging.  One of these days, I want to make this myself...done with maybe Perle Cotton...and a suitable embroidery needle.  Oh, if there is something with a simple scallop, I'm just a fool over it!!!

  

Here is a piece of that linen left over and available to use on another piece of work.  And, I will use it.  So sweet!!

  

And, here is my 'shaky' Backstitching.  Evidently I was shakier stitching these than I was making the Giveaway words.  Some days you have it, some days you don't!  Just out of practice...but willing to spend more time getting back to my old ways!!   I like the little bag....

Hope you are safe and warm!

Until next time,

♥♥♥

 

8 comments:

Sheila said...

Pat, what a cute little bag. I think your backstitch is just fine, absolutely love the little heart with French knots. At first I thought they were little roses.
Take care

Sherry said...

Oh, Pat! I love it! Such a pretty combination of elements that are so YOU! You inspire me to pick up a needle today. Can't wait to see what you make next.

Sherry in Little Rock

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Pat, your work is beyond perfection. I am privy to knowing this because of the beautiful pincushion that you made for me years ago. It is proudly displayed in my cabinet in my new sewing room.

I love those hearts and this little book cover. Such a gift for the girls to have won! I know you spent hours and hours making them. And they are perfection!

BTW, I shared my PC at the antique club meeting that I had at my home. Everyone was in awe of it.

xxoo

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Pat, your work is beyond perfection. I am privy to knowing this because of the beautiful pincushion that you made for me years ago. It is proudly displayed in my cabinet in my new sewing room.

I love those hearts and this little book cover. Such a gift for the girls to have won! I know you spent hours and hours making them. And they are perfection!

BTW, I shared my PC at the antique club meeting that I had at my home. Everyone was in awe of it.

xxoo

Gill said...

What a fabulous little bag Pat!

Julie Fukuda said...

A perfect bag for keeping it all together! My notebook is going to complain because it only got a pocket on my chatelaine.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

its a sweet little bag. thanks for the idea to keep a journal with diagrams of the beaded edgings you have done. I love simple scalloped edges too. Your french knots look like tiny rosettes.
xx, Carol

Jaybird said...

Sweet little bag!!!! I think that is a Waverly fabric, and if I can find it :^) I have some more of it that you can have. Give me a day or three and I will hunt it up! I am working on a project with a magnolia blossom print.
Blessings,
J

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.