Sunday, July 23, 2017

"Lace, Tucks, Hearts, Bears and some Quilting"


 "Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures."
H.Jackson Brown, Jr.

Sure, who isn't thinking big thoughts these days?  It's difficult to find something to take our minds off those big thoughts and worries of the day.  Don't you think?  Maybe it's just me, but I find it invaluable, sometimes, to search around the cottage for a diversion from those big, heavy thoughts.  Something that might give me a little while to contemplate the small, enjoyable things of life.  So, for the last hour or so, I have gathered my thoughts around these things:  lace, tucks, hearts, bears and some quilting.  These things exist here in my little corner of the world, and at certain times...well, I'd rather spend some time gathering them together,  and enjoying an hour to two than thinking those big thoughts.  Like today.

This little bear is holding a small heart made by my friend, Bibi.  So cute.


 I've shown you these bears before....but not with this particular selection of lace, tucks, hearts or quilting.  I find "hunting and gathering" tucked fabric with  lace or crocheting is very enjoyable.  Hard to find, but worth the looking.  Do you?


There is a little pillow with tucks in the background of this photo.  The pillow was made by my sister-in-law, Betsy.  It is delicate and so dear.  In front of that is a little doll bed pillow with an appliqued heart.  A little heart pincushion, made by the mother of a good friend.  Dear also.  And, then, a doll bed quilt I made a long time ago...with tiny embroidered hearts and such....click to enlarge if you wish to see that.  


Here is the tiniest bear I have....just about three inches tall....there with a pink heart pin I found a while back.  Both so sweet!  Some lace and underneath the lace, some tucks...the bottom of a vintage skirt.  And, all in front of a vintage quilt top in the Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern.  It belongs to my sister-in-law Nancy's mother.  Made by her Mother's sister and with any luck, I will have it quilted for her by next summer in time for her 90th birthday.    Some mending and such will have to be done first.  When this huge job is done, you will definitely see it here on the blog. 


 Another look at that quilt, with the bear I made wearing a heart necklace, a tucked piece with crocheted lace, and a small crazy quilted pincushion I made some time ago, also with a tiny embroidered heart.

So....here you have a "small pleasures diversion" for a Sunday afternoon from my house to yours.

from
BIRD NEST COTTAGE
until next time
♥️♥️♥️


4 comments:

littlemancat said...

Thank you for sharing these small beauties. I so agree about the small things we can enjoy.
Mary

Jenny said...

Oh Pat...thank you so very much for these precious moments thinking fun thoughts! What beautiful treasures you have collected...all so lovely and so very dear! Everything just made my heart smile!
I am especially drawn to the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt that you will be working on. I have found that during my treatments using a sewing machine can be very tiring but hand work is especially enjoyable...so as I have always been drawn to the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt that is the quilt I am working on now! Oh how I love those hexagons! With little birds embroidered in the centers...a cute little basket to hold them in and I have found a happy diversion.
Sending hugs and love!

Jaybird said...

The small things are the best!!! House hubby and I were making a bit of music with a "small" book that "someones" gave us. It has lots of good old stuff in it!!!
Hope you are staying cool...I go out really early to water my flowers, and it is even hot and muggy then :^( bah-humbug.
Hugs to you and I will be seeing the sister tonight....I will tell her hello from all of your cutie bears!
Blessings,
J

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Somehow I missed this post, but saw you posted when I looked at my blog sidebar.

Who doesn't love a Teddy Bear. I have more than several, but my very favorite is once that Corey gave me when I was in the hospital with pneumonia when he was little. He put one of those head covers they used to give back then when you went in for surgery. It was silver like tinfoil. Funny, I don't remember asking how they got that head topper. I also have a tiger that he gave me. It didn't have a belly button so he put a sticker where it should have been. gosh you brought back some great memories with this post. Thanks!
xx, Carol

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.