Sunday, March 15, 2009

Finding Fabric on A Fun Day Trip






I don't know about you, but my life lately (combined with the weather and the economy) has left me in pretty much of a sad and sorry state. You know what I mean....feeling pretty good but unable to get in that really happy, energetic state of mind that leaves one enthusiastic about life in general and making things in particular. I just haven't been able to "get myself going." My friend, Sherry, who lives in Little Rock and seems to know what makes me tick...called and said she wanted to take me on a little drive around the places she grew up (meaning Bald Knob, Arkansas, where she was raised and not far from Searcy, where I live). She said a little drive would do us both good. We'd have lunch, see beautiful places and then, we could drive up to Batesville and shop for fabric at Marshall's....the area's biggest fabric store.

I'm not a very spontaneous person, but have been so cooped up the thought of going for a drive, seeing beautiful places, having lunch "someplace" and then shopping for fabric was very tempting...so I said yes. And, Sherry is very good company too. She picked me up and off we went...on our little adventure.

We had a lovely lunch, then drove all over Bald Knob. That was FUN. I love to see old houses, lots of trees, creeks, just scenery in general, and there was plenty of it....the daffodils...even though nearly through blooming were quite pretty and all the blooming trees just gorgeous. Have I ever told you that when I see red bud trees, fruit trees, tulip trees, etc., in bloom.....I always think of French Knots? Millions of beautiful French Knots were seen that day! And, after this trip when Sherry tells stories about growing up...I will know the places she is talking about. That's nice, too.

Later in the afternoon, we made it to Batesville. What beautiful old homes that little town has!!! Sherry and I spent a while choosing the ones we would want to live in! And, then, we arrived at Marshall's. A huge amount of fabric was beckoning to us. Let it be said that I haven't bought fabric in about a year. My stash beckons to me also...and, for the most part, has been ignored for many months. So, seeing a large place full of the wonderful stuff, you'd think I'd remember that I have lots of it waiting at home....NAH! We shopped. We discussed. We laughed. We bought. What fun!!!

So, pictured here are the fabrics I bought. An assortment of prints...just beautiful. Some people buy bright, colorful, funky fabrics...these are the kind I love, floral, romantic, old-fashioned. No matter how hard I try to get interested in the others, this is what I always choose. Love'em!!! You can look at a close-up and see them all, but some you must see a larger section, so here is a floral assortment, roses, a beautiful green with an urn and flowers, a mother and child print (what will I do with these? I don't know but will think of something!), a Bride and Groom in all their floral glory, another question as to how I will use it...but SO?? Aren't they pretty? And, it was so much fun choosing them. I actually bought some lovely linen fabric, and some plain white, off-white and tan all suitable for embroidery.

Ok....that last photo....that's my current "stash." It never seems to decrease and you are only seeing what's on the shelves. I have a suitcase full of rose fabric for that rose quilt I plan on making someday. There is a suitcase full of vintage 30's-40's fabric...someday? I have several of those plastic bins full of solids, fancy fabrics, etc. It's an addiction....it's a blessing and a joy....it's what I look at when I need inspiration to "do" something and it verges on being sacred. Well, to me anyway.

And, my friend, Sherry, well, she's great! She sure knew what I needed and took it into her own hands to give it to me. I had such a great day...I'm grateful to her...and very enthused now. Thank you, my friend!!! Now, let me see....which fabric to work with today? See ya soon! Pat

10 comments:

Gayle said...

Now that's a friend...and that fabric...gorgeous smorgeous!

Judy said...

What a wonderful friend!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time and the fabric is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Pat, how did I miss getting some of that green toile?!? We did have a great time, didn't we? Sometimes, just getting out and about and having time to talk is better than medicine -- especially when Spring starts to bloom in the Arkansas foothills! We'll do it again soon.

Sherry in Little Rock

Unknown said...

It sounds like you both had a fun day. I adore the vintage look fabric you bought. We don't get anything like that here in the UK, mores the pity. Mind you, I don't think my hubby would agree with me because he thinks I've got too much fabric already. Pam x

Gone said...

Next time I go shopping for fabric, I know where I'm going........Pat's Fabric Shop!!! You have soooooooo many beautiful fabrics...and I'd like some of them, too!! I especially love the BRIDE fabric with the roses you found when shopping.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Well, dang! I missed the trip to Marshall's! I may NEVER, EVER forgive you two! LOL!!!!!! See you Friday!

The ONE and ONLY...purpleprincess!

Elenka said...

Sounds like a great time! That kind of stuff is right up my alley.
LOVE your fabric choices.

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

Oh my what wonderful soft fabrics with such joy. Why have Kelley and I been putting off that trip to Marshalls? I don't know whether to be happy for you and Sherry or jealous - okay I pick happy - you needed that day!!!
See you soon.
Brenda

Cathy said...

What fun and lovely fabrics you selected! And your stash looks perfectly yummy. Tell your hubby that it's good "insulation"!! :-) Hugs, Cathy

Unknown said...

Those fabrics are absolutely fabulous! Your friend sounds fabulous, too! :)

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.