Saturday, June 23, 2012

Remembering a Special Person

Richard Dean Leland
1949-2012

Today I had intended to tell you about something silly.  You'll remember in my last post, I mentioned it.  But, as life is what happens while we are making other plans, my intentions have changed.  I know you will remember the two funny sisters from my last post.  Yes, my sister was here visiting and we had a wonderful time.  She was here with her husband and their eleven year old grandson.  It was a wonderful visit.

That comment about 'life happening' is true.  This past Tuesday....my sister's husband and my great and good brother-in-law, passed away.  He was 62 and for the past thirty-seven years has been in my family.  A good man from Maine....he said WE had an accent.  We said HE had one.  It's been a family joke for years and we enjoyed all enjoyed it.

Having his grandson with him to enjoy his new boat was what he was looking forward to this summer and this past Tuesday they went to Lake Belton, Texas, a few miles from home to fish.  It seems that when it came time to load the boat back on the trailer, Rick had some problems which Daniel, his grandson noticed.  Evidently Rick had an issue getting the boat loaded and it began to float away.  The wind got up and blew it further away.  He swam after it.  Seeing his grandfather in distress, Daniel jumped into the water to help, but realizing that something bad was happening, he pulled him to shore.  He had to find help, which he did.  However, Rick did not survive, evidently the victim of a heart attack.  An awfully sad event, but a really valiant try by a great kid.  He will be in my thoughts and have a special place in my heart for a very long time.

Today was Rick's funeral.  You might ask why I am not in Texas to attend the funeral...and that's a fair question. I haven't shared this with you as I prefer to keep my blog posts on the light side and not mention my personal issues.  I try to write things that get me 'out of the everyday' for a while.  It helps me and if you find my posts interesting in any way, well, that helps me too!  I'm honored when you comment that you enjoyed something I've shown you.  So, just to clarify why I'm not in Texas at this moment.....my own 'old navy man' is not in good health and my sister requested that we stay home, which is really unavoidable and being a very thoughtful person, she knew it.  It would be quite difficult for him to travel and I never leave him overnight.  And, this is probably all you will hear me say on the subject...because you now know...writing to you about silly things is my therapy.  So, today I have watched the clock and knew what my sister, her family, my brothers and their families were doing every minute and I was there with them, though I wasn't physically there.  We've talked on the phone and shared the day.  I am so saddened by this loss.  He was a great brother-in-law.

Years ago I read this quote and would like it to be read when I go.  So, knowing Rick as I did, seems to me he would feel the same:

"Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I will remember you all.  If you can only remember me with tears, then don't remember me at all."  Laura Ingalls Wilder

Yes, I will remember him with those smiles and that laughter and my sister and I will spend time together again.    And, you, dear friends, forgive the sad post, but I feel I owed it to Rick to pay my own tribute to him.  I'll see you soon.  Take care out there, pat 

14 comments:

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Blessings. I am very sad for your loss.

LindaSonia said...

So very sorry for your family's loss. Thoughts and prayers coming your way for ALL the challenges you face. God bless you.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Pat, I'm sorry for all of you and my heart goes out to you in this time of lonliness, because thats what it always feels like to me, the missing of the person who has passed.
Sending peace , strength to you and yours.
xx
julie

Suztats said...

My condolences to you and your family. Hugs and blessings.

DRblue said...

what a great tribute to my man!! I happen to know that I have THE best sister in the whole, entire world!!!!!! You all keep her propped up, she's so torn between me and her "old navy man"!!! I love her
T-H-I-S---M-U-C-H !

Dolores said...

My deepest condolences. Take care of your "old navy man" and yourself.

brian said...

Pat,
Girl friend you must keep your head up and your eye to the sky and all will be ok please tell your sister I and very sorry for her loss and to you and yours the very best love and sun shine on your face. Kiss to you sweet lady from the man from indiana The Crazy Haberdasher until a happier day love and stitches.

Sherry said...

Pat, you and your whole family are in my thoughts today. I think your nephew's actions on that terrible day were thoughtful and heroic and will bring comfort to your family. Blessings to all of you.

Sherry in Little Rock

Christy said...

My condolences to your sister and to you, Pat. I'm certain he enjoyed being in your family and I'm also certain you'll be seeing him again. Pat, take care of yourself and your ol' Navy man. I'm thinking of you and your family.
Christy
botm2@yahoo.com

Cathy said...

Dear Pat, my heartfelt condolences to you and your sister on the loss of her husband. And hugs to your grandson for his life saving efforts. Having once been in his position many years ago when I was young and lost an uncle, I empathize with the internal 'what ifs' he is likely dealing with. To you and your dear Old Navy Man, I wish many more years of happiness and good health. Hugs, Cathy

Anonymous said...

Pat, sending love,prayers and big hugs to you and your family at this time.Also prayers for good health and healing for you and your "Old Navy Man". Thank you for pulling back the curtain and giving us a peek into your real life.As much as I enjoy your blog sometimes I need to be reminded that behind these blogs I read are REAL people that deal with life issues just like myself.
You're in my prayers,
Jennifer

Mandy Currie said...

Pat, I am so sorry to hear your sad story and for the loss of a much loved man. Prayers for your family and also you and your hubby. May God bless you and keep you in his loving arms. What a valiant young man to try and save a life, he must be in a great shock after witnessing such a sad event. I'll be thinking of you all and praying. Do take care and thank you for your blog post. God bless. Mandy Currie (mandycurrie@googlemail.com)

Claudine said...

I am very sad for you and your family. But she is very beautiful and the quote I'd remember. At home too, but the disease strikes, our blogs are good distractions. I hope to see you soon with pretty things to show us. I also hope that the translation from French into English will be good for you. A small tribute to you. Kisses to you and your husband and see you soon.
Claudine

Jaybird said...

ahhh Pat....and miss you both, we did.
as I stood looking around our house the other day at all of the improvements that he has made for us over the years, and thought "I will never be able to change any of this, so I'm glad I love it!" In true Rick style, I have a lot of funny stories about our frequent "home improvements". He was a jewel among men!!
Blessings to you and the ONM, we will keep you close in prayer.
Hugs to you,
J

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.