Thursday, December 11, 2014

Warmth and Beauty in 2015


Several weeks ago, I received this wonderful calendar for 2015.  It was sent by my friend, Kay Thomas, from Mountain View, Arkansas.  I met Kay a very long time ago when I first went to visit the Ozark Folk Center.  Through her invitation, I became a quilt instructor at the center for their Ozark Folk School many years later.  Kay is a multi-talented and caring person...and I sincerely mean that.  There is no limit to what she can do and I admire her greatly.  She has been involved in the production of this wonderful calendar and I wanted to share it with you today.  I know you will enjoy seeing this little peek at it and if so inclined, please order one to benefit the Stone County Museum located in Mountain View.


Pictured here is the back of the calendar....with all the pertinent information there.  (And, isn't this a nice photo of Susan Jewell working on hand quilting...makes me want to get out a needle and get to quilting...as there are several quilt tops I could be working on right now!)

  

I've enlarged it for you so you can read it a little easier.   I think this calendar is a beautiful tribute to the pioneer quilters of Arkansas.  I always marvel at these quilts and wonder how in the world these women accomplished all they did to make a home and feed a family, much less create such beautiful works of art.  They, of course, were making them to keep warm and I'm sure they never even thought of them as art....but, art they are!  Indeed.


I'm only going to show you January, as an enticement, of course.   A Rocky Mountain Road quilt made by Martha Dale Carter and passed down through her family.  A photo of her daughter, Lizzy, appears along with the quilt photo. The quilt was made in the late nineteenth century. There is more information on each quilt on the last pages of the calendar. 

  

 I'm not showing you the whole calendar view of the month of June...just the photo. This is one of my favorite things I ever saw at the Folk Center.  This is not actually a quilt, but quilt blocks ready to be made into a quilt.  I have actually touched these very blocks myself...way back in the day when I taught at the Folk Center.   It seems they were 'discovered' in an antique store by Benham Dangers of Ft. Smith in 1973.  With them was information stating they were more than 100 years old, made for a bride's quilt, although she never married.  When I saw them, I was completely speechless (quite a rare occurrence!) 



There are twenty blocks, some duplicated.  The blocks have pieced backgrounds with the tiniest of animals and other images appliqued on them.

  

In this photo, you can see a photo insert with one of the appliqued birds.  


Here is one of the copies I received from Kay.  I had originally thought to replicate them at some point, but never did.  Maybe I will try making one or two of the animals one of these days...but not a whole quilt.  Perhaps a pincushion or something small.


Here is the squirrel.  So very cute...and tiny.  It measures approximately 1 1/2  x 2 inches.



And, here is the bird.....it measures approximately 2 x 2 inches.  The little legs measure 1/8 inch.  Yes,  1/8 inch!!!!   Their little eyes are done in buttonhole stitch.  I am privileged to have these copies and treasure them.   I hope you share with me the amazement I feel when looking at these tiny creatures.  A sight to see in 'real life,' you can be sure.


 This photo has nothing to do with the calendar, but everything to do with Kay.  I mentioned how talented she is.  I received a note from her way back in 2005 and I have saved it all this time.  Look at the lovely drawing she did in the lower left hand corner.  DIVINE!


 Here is an enlargement so you can see it easier.  The sweetest  little 'scene.'  I treasure it also...as it is a special drawing from a special person.


Now, this photo has nothing to do with the calendar either, or even my friend, Kay.  It is where I took the photos of the calendar today.  This is one of the small bedrooms in my new home.  A tiny room.  But I wanted to take the calendar photos on this vintage quilt.  I have no clue who made it, but I am so glad they did!  It's wonderful.  This is a twin bed, but the quilt is a full size.  I like quilts folded at the end of the beds...and this one is fabulous.  Just wanted you to see it as it 'lives in my house.'  I change quilts out once in a while so they can 'rest' in the quilt closet.



Notice the quilting on this quilt....BEAUTIFUL!!!  There is nothing more special to a me than someone else's hand quilting and most especially on a vintage quilt.   I love it so.


 Another view of the stitching.  Definitely a work of art. 


 Another view of the quilt...sure dresses up that little bed, doesn't it?  

I hope you have enjoyed the peek at the calendar.  And, I know you appreciate all the hard work that went into making it and the people who made not only the calendar, but all the hands making the lovely quilts so long ago.  (Thanks, Kay, for sharing it with me!!)

Until next time, ♥  pat

























2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

It is so nice to see documented quilt history and beautiful pictures. What a nice friend to know you will value the calendar and enjoy it throughout the year. I love the Photo setting too.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You have a lot of special people in your life. You prove the law of attraction is a real thing. Your little guest room is lovely and the quilt is gorgeous.
Merry Christmas, Pat
xx, Carol

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.