Thursday, February 28, 2008

"A Bit of Heaven: The Story"

Recently I made a quilt which I named "A Bit of Heaven." It is pictured here above my posts. The quilt is 20" x 20" and is partly hand appliqued, partly machine appliqued. The embroidery and quilting were done by hand. The handwriting at the bottom of the quilt says: "On Earth there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it." A quote from Jules Renard. I didn't start out to make a quilt like this, nor did I intend to give it away, but like many things we do.....ideas change as we go along, so this little quilt turned out to be a surprise for me. A pleasant one. As quilters tend to do, I took the little quilt to my daughter's house to show it off and to my further surprise...my son-in-law took a liking to it. He is always complimentary when he sees something I have made, but has never expressed an abundance of interest. This time he did. So, I gave the quilt to him. He seemed so pleased, therefore, I am pleased also. Isn't it nice to know that mother-in-law/son-in-law relationships aren't always as they appear in situation comedies. And, isn't it interesting how work imagined one way, at the beginning, can turn out to be so different in the end.

No comments:

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.