Wednesday, September 15, 2010

AWOL, Part #1






Well, this week has just flown by....I returned from my AWOL weekend around 6:00 pm on Sunday night and I've hardly sat down since. It took me two days to get unpacked and put everything away! A good time was had by all....but especially, ME. I hadn't realized just how much I needed to 'get out of Dodge' and I had some really good laughs....laughter is the best medicine, and I got a good dose of it. It's so nice to have friends who spread joy around. Quilters are just the best!

I thought I'd do a three part post on my AWOL weekend....remember that means Arkansas Women on the Loose. (Actually, we have two guys there too.) Tonight, I just want to show you some photos of the actual site where all this fun takes place. It is west of Little Rock at the Arkansas 4H Center. It's the most wonderful place and we are so lucky to have it available to us.

This is the first thing you see upon arrival....a sign by the spring and the gate....there is a "water feature" here, but a brook to the left of it. When I see this sign I know that FUN is on it's way. The grounds of the 4H Center are really beautiful...more of that later, I think. And, may I say, the drive out there is really pretty too!

I took a walk up the hill to take the photo of the entry and right side of the building. The walk was steep, but I made it ok.....there are two levels of parking where I was standing to get this photo. (I'm only mentioning the steep walk because the dr told me to walk everyday for fifteen minutes....which I've been doing. I'm not in great shape, so overestimated just how good at walking I'd be on those hills.)

You'll see the corridor along which you'll find the classrooms, the cafeteria, and the auditorium. There is a 500 seat auditorium with state of the art electronics, lighting etc. Lends itself very well to quilt lectures when we have "Quilt Arkansas" there every other year! Our classrooms (for this event) are at the end of this corridor.....and they are very nice....lots of electrical outlets, light and windows. It's a pleasure to work here.

The cafeteria can accomodate 500......there were about 80 of us....counting our quilting friends from Ft. Smith who have their own little get-together there too.

This isn't the best photo of the lodging rooms, but it's what I could get that day. There are three beds in each room......2 twins and one double. And a private bath. I LOVE staying at this place!

We stayed up late, sewed for hours and hours, ate, talked and laughed our heads off. Wish you'd have been there too! I'll post more about the retreat in a day or so (monthly group meeting tomorrow). Probably late Friday, then some more over the weekend. Y'all take care out there...pat

1 comment:

Vivian said...

Oh, Pat. This makes me so wish I could have been there. It sounds like so much fun. Can't wait to see and hear more about it. I'm glad you got some time to yourself. We all need that now and then.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.