Thursday, June 6, 2019

Trees: Real and Imagined


The following photographs of trees were taken at various times of the year at my former home.  I used to take photos of that lone tree in the center of our acreage every chance I got.  That actually means when I saw "something" that made me want to keep that sight forever in my memory.  So, 
I hope you enjoy them....for some reason TODAY, I wanted to remember them. 
 

My friends, who stitch, have often heard me say that in my mind "trees are nature's version of lace."
No time is that more obvious to me than in Winter.  Just look there.....do you see it? 
Or, maybe I should say "can you imagine it?"


 Many times I have sat right there....enjoying the trees and the birds.
I've even quilted out there. 
 The light through that center tree again....magical.


 This is one of my favorite photos of that tree...


  And, this one is glorious.

 I'm so happy to have these photos as the place doesn't look the same these days.
Which is okay, really.  I don't look the same either.
Not to worry, though, the tree and I are both still standing.

  

 This beautiful scene was painted by my sister-in-law, Sandy Kraft.
She is such a talented artist.  I found this photo of her work tonight in my photo archives and thought it should be included in this post.  Isn't it beautiful!!! 
I just want to take a walk through it...there on that path.  It's the way home, don't you know.


 The only trees I know how to make are what I call "fantasy trees." 
 And, this particular piece is a combination of painting and collage. 

 Here's what it says:

"Come sit with me...we will speak of many beautiful things...feel
the breeze softly blowing...and make a lovely memory."


This applique and embroidery is part of a quilt I made long ago.  One of my first embroidered trees.


And, these trees....pure fantasy! 

The leaves are machine stitched down the center to hold them in place. 
 Everything else is hand-embroidered and quilted.


One of the smaller of my tree projects.... 2 1/2 inches x 3 I/2 inches. 
And one of my very favorite things I ever made. 
 No matter what you do to them...they still look like trees! 


 And, here is another embroidered tree.
There are more...but, for today, well, these spoke to me...again!

So, I was inspired this evening to post about these trees because I had read this poem this morning
and I've thought of trees all day.

"Around me, the trees stir in their leaves and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, "It's simple," they say.
"and you too have come into the world to do this,
To go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine."

Mary Oliver
from
"Thirst"

until next time
from
Bird Nest Cottage
❤️❤️❤️


3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I love trees and also have favorites to rejoice in at each glance and in every season. A few that were in lots along my street are now only in memories without pictures, because, as the old folks leave and the houses are sold, the property is leveled to build apartments. Gardens and trees that have been tended since I arrived in the early 60s, now wiped out in a week. had I taken pictures, I might be crying now to look at them. Glad you have saved these happy times.

Sandy K said...

Absolutely beautiful! And it looks like you got all four seasons. I especially love all your French knot creations!

Jaybird said...

By Joyce Kilmer
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.