Friday, May 17, 2019

Can I Let Things Go?


Someone asked me how I could sell some of my pretty things at the flea market.  How could I let it go? And, the simple answer is this: 
 I don't know. 
Lately I have mulled that question over and over in my head.
You may have read that I have loved 'old things' since I was a small child.  It's true. 
So, I have saved (some may say hoarded) things since way back when.  
I have also given lots of things away and never looked back and wondered why.
It defies explanation really.
So, here I'm going to show you just how confusing this question is to me.
While I have given many things away that I made with my own two hands (and gladly, I might add)
some things I have gathered, well, I can't seem to let them go.
Why is that?


 Take, for instance....this broken candy dish. 
 I bought it at the flea market several years ago and as I was bringing it into my house, I dropped the bag on the driveway. 
 As you can see....it is broken.  I was crushed...as I thought those little birds were just the sweetest things! 
So I saved them.


While packing to move into this house...Bird Nest Cottage....I carefully took three of my favorite items and packed them so well I was sure nothing would happen to them.
As I do not do every thing perfectly well....
 when I unpacked that particular box, lo and behold!  All three items were broken.
It made me sick really.
So, what were they?
Well, a china doll, the kind you make a pincushion out of with ribbons, lace, etc.
You see it here.  I saved the pieces.

  

The tiniest little bowl from England.  
So dear. 
And, now in pieces. 


Here is the bottom of the bowl.


And, my favorite....a pie plate.
The prettiest pie plate I thought I had ever seen.
Still do.



 It's a crying shame.
Don't you think? 


So, what does one do with these things?
(And they are just things.)
I expect most "normal folks" would just throw them away.
But, me...well, we know I'm not normal.
I saved them all.
One day I came across a McCoy planter in my stash of flea market finds.
"Wow", I thought.
Why don't I arrange all these beautiful pieces of china in this planter.  That way,
I can still enjoy looking at them from time to time.  And,
they can still be appreciated.


  Because, evidently....I can't let things go.

  

Just how pretty do you think this lady is?  Far too beautiful for me
to throw her away.
 Even the bottom of that little bowl and the birds are
much too delightful to be cast away in the garbage.


One of my friends calls this planter full of assorted broken china 
"my beautiful art piece."
I enjoy hearing that.

So, one day, it will all go somewhere, along with everything else in this house.
Even now, some of it will find it's way to the flea market or friend's houses,  or any number of places.
And that's ok with me.
Until it does, however, well.... 
it will continue to bring me great pleasure and evidently entertain those who come here.
Can I let things go?
Everything in it's time, I say.

until next time
BE WELL
from
BIRD NEST COTTAGE 

❤️❤️❤️


2 comments:

brianhaggard said...

Had I am broken would you place me on the shelf or table in your home show me the love that you have put in as inanimate objects I will be delighted love your post chat soon

Sherry said...

Pat, I love this! Those pieces tell a wonderful story.

Sherry in Little Rock

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.