Friday, April 3, 2020

My Grandmother and the Flu Pandemic of 1918


 The Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918 
killed 50 million people Worldwide, including 
675,000 in the United States.
One of the victims was my Grandmother.
My Dad's Mother.
She had eleven children. They lived in Philadelphia.
Her name was Margaret Cafferty Williams.
You see her here in this photo.
The little girl in the photo is her daughter, Marquerite, one of my dad's older sisters.
After her death, my Dad, Cyril Joseph Williams, born in 1909,
and the younger children went into the Catholic Orphanage in Philadelphia,
where he spent several years, leaving when his sister, my Aunt Marquerite,
lied about his age so he could join the army, which he actually did, at age 16.

  

 Here is his photo, taken at that long ago time. 
 My Dad stayed in the army until 1954.
I don't know what happened to all eleven of the children.  I did have the pleasure of being with my Aunt Marguerite at least three times in my life. 
 My Dad passed away in 1973.  Just the other day, I was reminded that if alive today, he would be 111 years old. He didn't speak of his childhood very much...I expect it was very difficult.  And, I've no idea what happened to my Grandfather.  
I do wish I had been able to meet my Grandparents.

 My aunt told me that I "had my Grandmother's hands."
I don't know if she loved sewing by hand like I do...but I choose to think I got it from her.
I also think she would have loved seeing my children, her Great-Grandchildren.

And, 
now we are in another pandemic.
  100 years later.
 
History repeats itself.
Because, it seems, we never learn.

Do listen to those that know.
Do think of others.
Do all you can, where you are, with what you have.
Let's help each other get through this.

Wherever you may be this day
BE WELL
 from
Bird Nest Cottage 
🇺🇸
 ❤️❤️❤️


8 comments:

Dolores said...

It's a shame you never found out about the rest of the family. You could have several family members out there who you have never met. This pandemic can be managed, I'm sure, if people would just stay away from each other and stay home. Why is it that some people just won't listen. Stay well and I'm sure you are keeping busy creating.

http://thankfullga447 said...

Sending you well wishes from Omaha, NE. I watch "Stitching On the Lake" on
floss tube/you tube. Marlene B. she is from AR. I never met my grandparents
on my father's side. Take care.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

That is interesting to know your history. My mom's dad (my grandfather) died of that 1918 flu epidemic. She was only 2 years old so she doesn't remember her dad. there ARE some pictures of him which are so good to have. My dad's dad was also in the military and I have some neat pictures of him in his uniform. I only met him once, when I was about 8 years old. it's sad when we all live so far away from each other.

I meant to comment on your post of the other day, with a picture of your daughter and son. Was so good to see those, and also a picture of you! It sounds like you have two wonderful and thoughtful children.

And as you said here, we must take care of ourselves and each other and friends and neighbors if we can. I have read more about the flu of 1918 and see that it killed so many more than this virus now, thank goodness. What I read also said that in 1918, many people were really in poor health from the war, and their immune systems weren't good at all, as well as many being malnurished. We should have no excuse now, but of course, so many now are eating so many foods full of junk and pesticides.. so again, our immune systems aren't working well at all.

Take care and have a nice weekend! Marilyn

Audra Jones said...

I always love seeing your photos, and these are so special! I am especially interested in family histories and will have to check to see how the Spanish flu impacted mine. Thanks for sharing more of you. ❤ Love Always! Audra

Julie Fukuda said...

My dad was also born in 1909, one of 10 children, and died just short of his 99th birthday. Interesting how large families were back then. I was named after my father's mother and so glad I got to know my grandparents on both sides. I have cousins all over the states. There are family reunions every three years. My mother's parents lived nearby so we were together weekly. It is a little sad that most of my own grandchildren live so far away, but lucky for skype and facetime.

TinaTx said...

Very interesting. I knew my grandparents on both sides and my great-grandparents on my mom's side. My great-grandfather passed away when I was in elementary school but my great-grandmother didn't pass away until I was 20 (she was 13 years younger than him) so she knew my oldest son (he doesn't remember her). My grandparents and great grandmother lived next door to each other most of my childhood and some of my best memories are of spending time there every summer. I still miss them. My dad has a lot of information on his side of the family - I really need to spend some time with him and go through some of it.

Hope you are able to stay in and stay safe!

Shari - a prim and (not so) proper quilter said...

Pat, what parallels we have experienced. My paternal grandfather, at the age of 29, succumbed to the Spanish flu in 1918, leaving behind his infant son (my father) and my Aunt Maxine, who was 3. My grandmother was a very determined woman and raised her children as a single mom while teaching in a one-room schoolhouse. My father passed away in 1972.

I agree wholeheartedly with your statements.

I pray you are well and I know you must be stitching something or dreaming about a new project.

Shari

Anonymous said...

My Grandmom born in Balina Ireland Came here when she was 14 to phila Manayunk. Her name is Margaret Cafferty married Edward Haggerty detective. My Dad Parents.6 sibs.Edward.Peggy Kay.Dorthy Martin.Marie Joyce,Aunt Rita and My Dad Joseph D Haggerty Fairmount Park police.Gmom worked in the play house in the park took care of Grace kelly dressing room.Jack Kelly appointed My Dad to the Mounted Police.Later changed by big Frank to Philadelphia mounted Police.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.