Sunday, January 26, 2020

A Vintage Book Cover, A Surprise Puzzle, and More Quotes




On one visit to the flea and a little while ago...I found this book.  Old.  And, falling apart.  Actually, you could not have read the complete title as it was so faded.  But, isn't it beautiful?  Yesterday, I decided to at least make the word Poetry legible.  

  

 The cloudy part there is where the cover material has just worn away.

  


 I used this Pilot Silver Marker to go over the very faded lettering.  It's like writing with liquid silver....in other words...FUN!  I've had that marker for YEARS....using it sparingly each time.
I need to see if they are still made...perhaps IMPROVED, as if you press too hard on the point, you can wind up with a silver blob.  Oh, they came in gold also...and may still.  You can be sure I'm going to find out.  
(Funny how you can renew an interest in something over time.)
Anyway....now, at least, you can tell it's a book of poetry.
I didn't even try to draw over the filigree pattern, as the pen point is too wide.


 A Surprise Puzzle
 My daughter took some photos from my blog posts to use in my mystery Christmas gift.
So, when I opened my gift at Christmas, I was quite surprised to see photos of some of my collections looking back at me!
She had used a section of this trunk photo
 

     and also of this basket of buttons to order
  of all things, two jigsaw puzzles.  Who would have thought of that???
    And, I, being totally behind the times, didn't even know you could do that if you had thought of it!                     Amazing!!!                       

  

 And, here are the puzzles!
When put together, each should measure 20" x 30"
and there are 1014 pieces in each.
Do you like jigsaw puzzles?
I do.
Many hours (weeks, months?) of fun ahead!!

 I wanted to include a selection of some of my favorite quotes today.
January being "the most quiet" month to me...means I lean toward reading and writing more quotes in my little 'quote books.'

"A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses."
A Chinese Proverb

 "The earth laughs in flowers."
 Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds round my neck."
Emma Goldman 

"Use the talents you possess for the woods would be silent if no birds sang except the best."
Henry Van Dyke 

"Where flowers bloom - so does hope."
Lady Bird Johnson 

until next time
BE WELL
from 
Bird Nest Cottage
❤️❤️❤️
 

7 comments:

Susan Zarzycki said...

Great idea about the puzzles! I will have to check it out. Enjoy! 💖

Catherine said...

What a super idea and very thoughtful of your daughter. I love really detailed and complicated jigsaws.

Sherry said...

Your Christmas crazy quilt would make an amazing puzzle!

Sherry in Little Rock

sandi s said...

The puzzles are a wonderful idea!!! Yours look so neat. I love your quotes, I love to collect quotes. Hugs, sandi

Julie Fukuda said...

Our family always had puzzles in progress, especially during the holidays... and ... I keep a journal of poems and quotes too.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

What a neat poem book! and so pretty how you fixed it up. I have both of those pens in gold and silver and love them! And how nice of your daughter to have those puzzles made. My mom always had a puzzle going. That's one thing I've never been able to say committed to! I start helping, but my mind wanders too much and I want to do something else, like crochet or do some sewing or something. I also love quotes and keep some written in a folder on my computer.. I also have some little quote books that I refer to now and then, but I need to start myself one big quote book so they are all in one place! Have a good week! Marilyn

Jaybird said...

What a GREAT idea!!! Your daughter gave you the best gift!!
I love the "Use the talents you possess for the woods would be silent if no birds sang except the best." Henry Van Dyke. No truer words were ever spoken!!
Blessings,
J

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.