Sunday, January 5, 2020

MEMORIES OF LAURA


 MEMORIES OF LAURA
a quilt
made in 1988
by 
Patricia Eaton 

The last time I posted was in September of 2019.  I intended to carry on, really I did, but
 last year was not the happiest year I have lived through and it got the best of me.  My heart just wasn't in it. My blog posts suffered because of it...I could no longer come up with anything I thought interesting enough to mention to you.    So, I let things go.  I thought many times of just closing my blog. 
I'm so sorry about that.
The holidays came.  They are always hard for me. I'm not sure I've ever told you that.
And, I thought a lot about things during the last two months.
Being kind of a hermit....there is lots of time to think.  It can wear you out, especially during hard times.
 And, oh...there is also that OCD thing.  
Yes, I AM my own worst enemy.

Do you ever talk to yourself?  I do.  One day, recently this just came right out of my mouth:
"It's hard to be me....even I have trouble doing it."  
Now that is a quote from actress Tallulah Bankhead.
But, that day, it seemed clear as a bell that it actually fit me.
It IS hard to be me....and it may ALSO be hard to be you.  We are going through tough times.
So, I need to just get a grip and get on with it.  
You want to try it with me?

Right then, I decided to get out a quilt and show it to you, even if I have shown it many times before. 
And, this quilt got my attention one more time.
Yes, I made it in 1988...a lifetime ago.
I wanted to remember Laura Ingalls Wilder as I had read all her books in my youth and loved them dearly...then watched all the Little House of the Prairie shows on tv too. 
Below a quote from her I believe to be quite fitting for current times.
 Below, take a closer look at all parts of this quilt.
The quilt hasn't changed either...after all these years.
So, once again, Laura can inspire us with her words.
And, maybe this quilt will also inspire us in it's own way.


  Hand appliqued, embroidered and quilted.

  

One stitch at a time.
Each one, as I've always said, a prayer, a meditation, a poem.

 The sky fabric and all those shades of blue....hand-dyed specially for me by my dear friend, Mary Morgan.  Upon giving it to me, she told me "don't make a scene."
 What she meant was she didn't want me to try and pay her for it.
So, I just made another kind of scene!


 One of my favorite parts of the quilt is Laura's tiny pocket, it's a real pocket.


 The label on the back of the quilt.
(Gosh, it seems like only yesterday when I sewed that label on!!!)


I just may read these all over AGAIN.

 Yes, studying this quilt again and thinking of Laura also...I like to think she was right and the "real things" haven't changed.  
I will carry that with me through this year.
So, a HAPPIER New Year to you too!

 until next time
BE WELL
from
Bird Nest Cottage
❤️❤️❤️ 



9 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

Love hearing from you. I haven't blogged for a long time either.
I love being lazy this time of year. What I don't like about aging
is my bucket list just doesn't done as fast as I would like it.
Cross stitching and knitting has helped. Quilting is on hold for the moment.
Take care
Gisela

TinaTx said...

What a lovely quilt. I'm always impressed when someone designs their own quilt to represent something special to them. You did a wonderful job. 2019 was just not a good year all around and I found it hard to keep up with my blog too.
Here's hoping 2020 is a better year for everyone!

Susan Zarzycki said...

Hi, I am a new follower of your blog because I love all things quilting. I haven't quilted in about 10 years despite having a sewing room and lots of lovely fabric! I really need to complete a promised quilt for my granddaughter some years ago but the motivation isn't there. I do, however, crochet. I was pleased to discover that your last name is Eaton! My maiden name was Eaton. Where I grew up it was a common name but unheard of in all the other places I have lived. 💖

mogsinc said...

Hello. I enjoyed Little House on the Praire. Both the books and the tv series. Your quilt is wonderful. I’m sure Laura would approve.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

What an absolutely WONDERFUL and BEAUTIFUL quilt! I too loved Laura Ingalls Wilder and though I haven' read but one of her books, I watched every one of the Little House shows, and many times over and over. Some are still streaming, so now and then I'll watch again! I "grew up with her" although I think I was in my early 20's when it first aired. That show and her life were so much a part of how I pictured my own life! I wanted to live in a little cabin in the woods, rough it, with no power or running water, etc. and cook on a wood stove. Well, I did do most of that! But your quilt.. what a tribute to her.. and I must say, I have always loved Melissa Gilbert for being Laura.. and I bet Melissa Gilbert would love to see that quilt! It is so intricate and detailed! Wow. And about the last few months... I've felt absolutely the same way.. the blahs, kind of blue and wondering what I should do with my life.. 2019 was also hard for me.. two losses of very close loved ones.. medical problems, etc. And I too have thought of just quitting blogging and closing my Etsy store. They are stresses I don't really need or want. I see you are taking a break from your Etsy shop. I may too, very soon. Don't sell much, and I'm always "talking to myself" (yes I do that too).. that I "should" get some more things made for my shop.. each time a holiday comes and that is a stress. My last blog post was Dec. 10th. They are getting fewer and further in between! Just doesn't seem much to share that I think people would really be interested in. So I'm with you.. just going to plug on through "it".. whatever "it" is that is making things seem so glum. Any anything YOU post is interesting as I'm a fairly newbie to your blog and haven't seen any of it hardly! (like this gorgeous quilt). Take care of yourself! Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hello! Yes, I love this quote too. It is my Instagram page identity. I still have my original set of books in a box (but mine are yellow) and I reread them, almost 50 years after receiving them. The holidays are hard for me too. Lifting you up in prayer. By the way, your quilt is beautiful! So are YOU.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. I have missed you.

Della

Louise Doney said...

Hi Pat, i’m always happy to see your posts pop up in my email . As we get older we worry more about our friends that we don’t hear from in a timely manner. Life does have a way of throwing roadblocks at us and sometimes it’s just by pure well that we looked ourselves up and take the next step. Your quilt is just lovely and the label on the back is a piece of art in itself. Keep creating even if you have slowed down a
bit .......... as we all have .! I think I spend more time thinking about my projects than I actually do working at them. And of course social media takes up more time because there’s so much of it out there and now floss tube Comes along and pulls you in.!! I’m not complaining because this media has helped promote the vast world of needlework that is out there and the young people have embraced it which will guarantee that the craft will not be lost to history.
BestStitches,
Louise

Jaybird said...

♥ ♥ ♥
xo

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.