Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My daughter's Art in the Park






Last Saturday, the Dr. Robert E. Elliott Foundation held a community event in the park. The foundation provides service, education and support to people with depression. You can read about it at www.robertelliottfdn.com.

My daughter, Kelly and I, are firm believers that our art is our own form of therapy and when asked to have a table at this event, she, of course, said yes. Not only would the money she donated for the table go to a good cause, but others could talk with her about her art, which she thoroughly enjoys, along with encouraging them to find something creative to do in their own lives.

That being said, she was somewhat nervous about it as not many people knew she painted. She had not shown her art in a venue like this. Showing your work for the first time can be somewhat traumatic. We decided that if she sold one painting....it was a good start and if she sold nothing...it was good experience. She was down there bright and early with me following later to be her "helper."

It was a glorious morning and the pavillion at Spring Park was nice and cool....buzzing with kids, lots of parents, the radio station, the fire department...ponies, the petting zoo, flowers, strawberries for sale and, oh yeah...Yarnell's ice cream..YUM! Kelly's Dad also came down to help out as he didn't want to miss the fun. He's in one of the photos. We saw lots of friends and some relatives too.

Would you believe that girl sold FIVE paintings! She was tickled to death and so were we. And, so you see her, event over, packed up and ready to go. Being a realtor.....her cell phone started ringing. This is how we see her most of the time.

I told her I would post a blog about her.....of course, she pooh-poohed the idea. Hey, what's a mother for? If you'd like to see more of her work....go to http://kellyvanhook.etsy.com and if you'd like to read her blog (which I find very amusing!) go to http://kellyvanhook.blogspot.com.

To wrap it up - the foundation was brought to the attention of more people, Kelly and I had a great art therapy session, and a good time was had by all. What a nice Saturday morning!

5 comments:

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Hi Pat, How nice of you to visit. I had to come back with you and see what been going on. Wow you must be so proud of your daughter and she is so beautiful. Of course you should blog about her.
I got a good look at your studio down there when your knot group came for a visit. Great space. Now I want to go visit your daughter's spot. More later,
Sharon

Gayle said...

Your daughter's paintings are beautiful. I'm so glad you share her art.

Pinkie Denise said...

Wow, I would be proud of my daughter too, my mom is an artist and loves to paint. I have tried to much on canvas, but I love to paint porcelain
dolls...Thanks for sharing her wonderful art with us Pinkie Denise

Faith's Vintage Vanity said...

Good for her! I know when you sell even one item, it's exciting! Thanks for stopping by and you are entered in the drawing.

Thanks,Faith

Judy S. said...

Hi Pat,
Thanks for visiting my blog! Your button idea is interesting...actually someone did that and you can see it on the blog with the patterns. Some of the future patterns look too big for this type of treatment though.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.