Friday, July 31, 2009
That "Robin and Nest" Pincushion
Well, can you believe, I have finally finished "that" Robin and Nest pincushion? It has taken me a lot longer to get it ready to mail than I ever thought it would. Nevermind that life gets in the way...it's been way too long a process to get this little jewel to it's new home!
I showed you a drawing of this pincushion in a previous post. And, several of you posted a comment letting me know that you liked the design. I created this pattern to fill a custom order for my blogging friend, Cheryl. You may visit her blog at
She had requested something with a bird and a nest, some silk ribbon embroidery, some beading and in the colors of Robin's Egg Blue and brown, if I could find it. Finding anything "special" in this area, and sometimes finding the basics, isn't easy. I ended up using a mix of linen and rayon for the center and drapery silk for the borders. It's the closest I could get. It turns out I had "just the exact amount" of silk ribbon in my stash for the leaves and roses.
I've never embroidered a bird before. Well, unless you count a cross-stitched one or an embroidered one in outline stitch. So, I got out my cute little bird book - purchased long ago and never used - "Peterson Field Guide Coloring Books - BIRDS." There are large drawings of birds and in the back is a tiny little colored picture of each bird. That is what I used to get the pattern for the bird. The bird is one and a half inches from top of head to tip of tail. I like it. I had to come up with the tree and the Nest on my own. I ripped that nest out two times and on the third try...I thought...ok, that's it...as I am not doing it again. (I painted the background fabric with black and brown paint so you couldn't see through the nest to the background, before I actually started the stitching.)
I'm very picky. This is NOT a good trait! So, eventually, I got the little square together and began the ribbon embroidery. Now, this is something I'm friendly with....all it takes is love and some time. Then, the beading of the pincushion edge. That takes lots of time as you have to count each bead. I used a mixture of three colors of beads for this "fringe." A tortoise color, a flat brown, and an almost carmel color, with a larger blue bead in the center of each loop. There are twenty beads on each side of each loop. No, I did not care to count how many loops.
I learned something from making this pincushion. I learned that I CAN embroider a bird! And, a nest! And, I learned just how important it is to me that Cheryl will love this and treasure it. I like to think I do heirloom quality work and I want it to last a long time.....at least as long as she does...as it is specially for her.
Yesterday, after sending her some photos of the pincushion, she told me that she would be "parked with my umbrella next to the mailbox until the bird arrives!" It made me smile and meant a lot to me. The bird is flying home on Monday! There you are..I hope you enjoyed seeing what became of my drawing......and take care. pat