Friday, July 31, 2009

That "Robin and Nest" Pincushion






Well, can you believe, I have finally finished "that" Robin and Nest pincushion? It has taken me a lot longer to get it ready to mail than I ever thought it would. Nevermind that life gets in the way...it's been way too long a process to get this little jewel to it's new home!

I showed you a drawing of this pincushion in a previous post. And, several of you posted a comment letting me know that you liked the design. I created this pattern to fill a custom order for my blogging friend, Cheryl. You may visit her blog at
cheryls-chatelaine.blogspot.com.

She had requested something with a bird and a nest, some silk ribbon embroidery, some beading and in the colors of Robin's Egg Blue and brown, if I could find it. Finding anything "special" in this area, and sometimes finding the basics, isn't easy. I ended up using a mix of linen and rayon for the center and drapery silk for the borders. It's the closest I could get. It turns out I had "just the exact amount" of silk ribbon in my stash for the leaves and roses.

I've never embroidered a bird before. Well, unless you count a cross-stitched one or an embroidered one in outline stitch. So, I got out my cute little bird book - purchased long ago and never used - "Peterson Field Guide Coloring Books - BIRDS." There are large drawings of birds and in the back is a tiny little colored picture of each bird. That is what I used to get the pattern for the bird. The bird is one and a half inches from top of head to tip of tail. I like it. I had to come up with the tree and the Nest on my own. I ripped that nest out two times and on the third try...I thought...ok, that's it...as I am not doing it again. (I painted the background fabric with black and brown paint so you couldn't see through the nest to the background, before I actually started the stitching.)

I'm very picky. This is NOT a good trait! So, eventually, I got the little square together and began the ribbon embroidery. Now, this is something I'm friendly with....all it takes is love and some time. Then, the beading of the pincushion edge. That takes lots of time as you have to count each bead. I used a mixture of three colors of beads for this "fringe." A tortoise color, a flat brown, and an almost carmel color, with a larger blue bead in the center of each loop. There are twenty beads on each side of each loop. No, I did not care to count how many loops.

I learned something from making this pincushion. I learned that I CAN embroider a bird! And, a nest! And, I learned just how important it is to me that Cheryl will love this and treasure it. I like to think I do heirloom quality work and I want it to last a long time.....at least as long as she does...as it is specially for her.

Yesterday, after sending her some photos of the pincushion, she told me that she would be "parked with my umbrella next to the mailbox until the bird arrives!" It made me smile and meant a lot to me. The bird is flying home on Monday! There you are..I hope you enjoyed seeing what became of my drawing......and take care. pat

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pincushion is absolutely beautiful! I don't know how your first two nests looked, but that one is perfect and the bird is wonderful. I can understand why she will be parked at the mail box waiting. Fantastic job!

Poppy Cottage said...

Oh Pat it is stunning! What a great job my friend. I know the little bird's new mom will cherish it.

Take care,
Sharon

Phyllis said...

Hi, this is my first visit. Your pincushion is incredibly gorgeous! Way to pretty to actually use for goodness sakes.

Amy R said...

Pat - You have redefined heirloom with this project. It is absolutely beautiful! I'd say Cheryl is a very lucky lady!

Liz said...

That is an amazingly beautiful pincushion Pat, Cheryl is a very lucky lady to have such a talented friend.
lizzie
XXX

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

Oh my I believe the bird could fly it looks so real. You outdid yourself on this one and Cheryl will be so pleased when she sees the actual thing. Keep going girl - you got it!!!

Anne said...

Your marvelous work on this pincushion is exquisite in every minute detail! After trying silk embroidery, I learned that it ain't easy at all!

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Now wait just a dern minute. You've never embroidered a robin? And this bird happened?
O U Kidd.
Exquisite craftsmanship.
xx
julie

Judy said...

My goodness, I'd park at my mailbox too!! It is beautiful Pat. You definitely get a gold star for this one.

NickiLee said...

Dang woman! Just when I think you've made your prettiest piece you come and out do yourself again! I love it and know your friend will too! Gorgeous as always!

AngelDoll said...

Your robin and nest pin cushion is exquisitely beautiful. I would be very anxious to receive this prize order too! Congratulatons on another masterpiece.

Sherry said...

Pat, I don't know how it could possibly be any prettier! I love your colors and, needless to say, your workmanship is just amazing!

Sherry in Little Rock

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Pat!!!! I DO love your beautiful pincushion!! My goodness, the detail is absolutely amazing...the nest, the bird...GORGEOUS!!! This will be a wonderful heirloom for sure ~ wishing you a great weekend sweetie, xxoo, Dawn

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Pat, I think that has to be the most beautiful pincushion I have ever seen! Stunning. And it is am heirloom!

Erin in MI said...

Oh Pat - it's absolutely gorgeous! I love your idea for the fringe - I might have to do something like that! You do amazing work, keep it up.

Cheryl said...

I am so excited about this piece I just blogged about it. How nice it is to be the envy of all your friends, neighbors, and fellow bloggers! And I agree with what everyone else said. I am very lucky indeed!

Karen said...

Your embroidery is WOW!! Love the bird, they tug at my heart lately!!

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Pat! It's so nice to meet you. Thanks for coming by and saying hi over on my blog. I am so impressed with your embroidery skills! This bird pincushion in so beautiful, and I was blown away looking at your silk ribbon flowers! You truly have the talent!!! Come by and say hi anytime!!!


Karen
My Desert Cottage

Unknown said...

That is absolutely beautiful! WOW! Such an inspiring piece! :)

Bia Cardeal said...

Your pincushion is wonderful! I love embroidery and love birds too! Fantastic!

Bia Cardeal
from Brazil

Dolores said...

Simply beautiful.

Elenka said...

THAT is just beautiful. I love the colors!

Kathi said...

That is truly a tresure. I love it all. I realized a bit ago I am enamored with little birds and nests too. I am partial to the little chickadee!

Maggie Ann said...

You certainly do...do heirloom work! You are amazing...this is beautiful and what a treasure!!!

Christine said...

Pat, your colour palette is exquisite, and I just love the brown beaded fringe. Any other colour wouldn't have worked half as well as this does. Your friend is very lucky to have a sample of your work, as am I. Cheers from Sydney Australia,
Christine.

deb/purple princess said...

Ohmyfreakin'gosh, Pat! Remember my telling you I already "knew" what this would look like in my head? Well, THIS is what was in my brain matter! This is TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Really, really special Pat. I don't have words for how beautiful it is. blessings, marlene

Gayle said...

This pincushion is spectacular! I'm back from vacation and am having fun catching up on your blog.

Anonymous said...

This is just amazing! I love the nest that feels so dimentional. It is so cool the way the frame is on top of the branches, like you are looking in on the scene. The sweet look to the bird....her eyes are so kind! Wow! You are just too cool! mlu

Vicki Boster said...

Pat - I know this is an older post - but I just found this and I have to say that this is one of my most favorite embroidered pieces that I have ever seen! I am in love! Oh my - I will think about this tonight in my dreams~~~

Vicki

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.