Saturday, September 30, 2017

There's No Chair Like An Old Chair


 I know I have too many old chairs in the house.  Some of them are way past their prime.  Like this one.  Gosh, I have a chair here from my elementary school (long torn down), and that is pretty old.
They come to me from various places and people and I can't seem to say no to them.  However, Bird Nest Cottage is reaching it's chair maximum.  I could be talked into more....but some would have to go and that is where there is a problem.  I just hate to see them go.  This one is one of my favorites.  When I bought it, I thought I'd try to re-upholster it in a sepia color with lots of lace and trims and such.  Have I?  No.  So, I thought, just for fun, that I would just add a few things here and there and pretend I was getting ready to actually do that little chore.  So, here is the chair....undressed.....


 And, then "Dresssed."  A plain pillow, an embroidered pillow, a crocheted and embroidered panel, and then, a tatted linen doily over top.  Gee, I love it just like that!


 By the way, this chair used to be covered with green upholstery.  Now, it looks like a rather dusty gray green and there were flowers in there too, but hard to see.




 Here it is with a crocheted doily over top.  Even over top of that tatted piece.


 A close up.


 And, here with a table runner over top.  Battenburg lace.  Really pretty.



 Here it is with a different crocheted piece over top.


 And, again, a different one over top. 
  


 Some kind of feed sack ... well, it says Texas, how could I not?


 A Home Sweet Home embroidery I bought for just a couple of dollars.


 This a pansy crocheted apron I just draped over the back of the chair.  


 This is some lovely embroidery on the center of that panel in the seat of the chair.  


 And, then, an embroidered linen doily over top.  Quite nice.


 The chair has as soft and smooth a finish as there could be...probably worn by the touch of many hands.  I do love it.  But, what will be it's fate?  I don't know, but I'll probably be playing with it for some time to come as I can't seem to decide just how I will finish it   You can bet you will see whatever it is though. And, it will be white or off-white for sure.
❤️

from
Bird Nest Cottage
until next time,
♥️♥️♥️



3 comments:

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

I too have a "thing" for old chairs, mostly wood chairs. I figure I can paint them and decorate them (never do!)... and they have so much personality. I love your old chair and all the different "dresses" you tried out on her. The lacy looking doilies on the back are my favorites, with the little pillows. We live in a pretty small house and my hubby also has a thing for chairs, but not small ones! He likes those slider rockers or a swivel chair or recliner so our house is "chair heavy" for sure. I would love a sweet little old slipper chair in our bedroom, but unfortunately no room with the dresser and antique desk, and then hubby brought home a huge headboard that he promised he'd paint white for me (never did) and it takes up an extra 14 inches of space. What's a girl to do???????? Love your blog! just my style.........Marilyn

Julie Fukuda said...

My old chairs have cane seats and three of those need replacing. I wonder if people still re-cane chair seats.

Becky said...

Oh for the love of a simple chair. I too would just keep playing with it. I have a similar chair that belonged to my husbands uncle. We had it recovered and when they did that they kind of polished up the woodwork, it is a favorite of ours...I recently learned one of my daughters really loves it too, how special, it will always have a home. I have another old wooden kitchen chair that I bought at the Salvation Army 50 years ago! It is painted a very special deep blue......I use it at my desk, it matches nothing at all and I don't care, I love it. It cost all of $2.00.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.