Wednesday, February 26, 2020

A Crazy Quilt and Notice of the Heartprint Winners


So, here we are.  
Once again...it's all about the hearts!
I made this little quilt (15" sq.) in 1997 and would have shown it on Valentines Day...but, just like me to do, it was hanging on the wall in my hallway and I just failed to SEE it.   I swear I can't see the forest for the trees.
Anyway, I decided I would show it tonight, as it goes with all my posts in February.


 I made this quilt for one of our quilt events in my guild.
 So, just look it over.  It was lots of fun to make.
I love doing the embroidery along the seams...and then hearts everywhere else.
The little gold hearts are done in metallic thread.
I don't care for sewing with that type of thread, it's hard to get the stitches to lie smooth.
But, I did it anyway.


 I loved making the little stuffed hearts hanging from a chain of DMC floss.  Another really fun piece of work.  And, I know you will ask...that gold scallop is actually three dimensional paint squeezed from a bottle.  I hesitated to use it, but did anyway.  Funny...it hasn't changed a bit in all these years!

 

  

 I used a permanent pen to write the quotes on the borders. 
  

Here are the quotes:

"When friends meet....hearts warm."
proverb

"When you want an accounting of your worth, count your friends."
Merry Browne 

"The greatest gift we can give to one another is rapt attention to one anothers' existence."
Sue Atchley Ebaugh

"No life is so strong, so complete, but it yearns for the smile of a friend."
Wallace Bruce

 

  

 Some of my favorite heart embroidery on this little piece.

  
  
Most crazy quilters prefer not to use many print fabrics on their crazy quilts. Also most use 'fancy" fabrics.  I've nearly always used cotton as that is what I could get my hands on and it has always been fine with me.  At least, when I was 'into' making them in years past, that was the case.  But, being me...well, I always wanted to use mostly ALL printed fabric.  I still believe it's up the quiltmaker to decide those things.


 Hope you enjoyed seeing this quilt!

And, now.......here are the names of the two Heartprint Winners for February.

 I will need a mailing address from each of you:

Mandy Currie
and
Kathleen Santos

I hope to mail the Heartprints
 on Monday....all depending on when I receive the addresses and I'll show them on a blog post thereafter.

Next week, I will  also immediately begin working on the March versions... 

I appreciate each of you who commented and you never know, you might win one sometime this year yourself!


 until next time
BE WELL
from
 Bird Nest Cottage
❤️❤️❤️ 



5 comments:

TinaTx said...

Your crazy quilt is beautiful! So much work. I'm not crazy about stitching with metallic thread either.
I too miss things that are right in front of my face. Frequently!

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

This crazy heart quilt is so so beautiful and fun to look at! I bet it was so fun to make! I love the little stuffed hearts hanging from the other heart.. and the gold stitched hearts really add to it. I'm amazed the puffy paint has lasted all these years! And love the quotes you've written on the borders. You inspire me to make something with hearts, as I do love hearts to much! xoxo Marilyn

Jennifer said...

This is so beautiful and so creative 😍

Mandy Currie said...

Hello Pat,
Your crazy quilt is beautiful, I'm working on one myself. It's such fun to experiment with all the different stitches and lace. I love quotes and keep a little book of them and have done since I was young. I fancied myself being a writer in those early days, funny hey, I guess I do write. I write penpal letters all over the world. lol I have sent you my mailing address and hope the email comes through ok.
Regards Mandy xx

Julie Fukuda said...

You are the only person I know with handwriting that looks exactly like mine. We must have learned from the same book. Pretty little piece too.

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.