Monday, September 21, 2020

Rescued Patchwork for Winter Warmth

 
Sandra, from Alabama, asked if I'd show more about the quilts used in the background of the photos in my 9-19-20 post.  That was the one with the embroidered heart pin.
So, of course, I told her I would. And, here they are.
The one taking the place of a spread here is made of rectangles 5 1/2" x 6."  The small quilt is made of                                rectangles 2 1/2" x 3."  All are made from vintage clothing scraps.

                                 

 
I didn't have them on display in the house as I had simply pulled them out of the quilt closet to use as the background of those photos.  So, this evening, I just put them on top of the bed coverings in this room.
It's always fun to "play" and try to come up with something interesting.

 
                            I just had to add the bears, a book and some knitting yarn and needles.
           I made the bear ages ago....it actually has a felt jacket, but I loved this little vintage baby jacket                                                        so much I wanted it in the photo also.  

                                                 

 
Each rectangular piece of the smaller quilt is hand embroidered. 
There are no quilting stitches.  And, the stitching is done with a variety of colors of embroidery floss.

 
                                             The beauty of this quilt is in the simplicity of it.

 
Here you can see the larger quilt has yet to be embroidered. 
I intend to embroider it the same way as the smaller one.
That will be something warm to do this winter.

 
 
And, as you probably know without me saying....both came from the flea market.  The smaller one I found several years ago.  I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't much.  
The larger, unfinished one, I got from Kathy at the Junk House in Beebe just a few weeks ago.
It was $1.00.  I couldn't turn it down.  Of course, it had cried out to be rescued.
 
The standing bear, and the three pillows came from Good Will...less than $2.00 each.
 Hope you enjoyed this little peak at yet another rescue. 
And, we will revisit this larger quilt maybe in the Spring when it is completed.
 
You know I just love rescuing old used quilts. By rescuing, I mean it's fun to find them and then figure out what to do with them.
Sometimes there isn't much left to work with.  It's a challenge.
Sometimes repair is possible, but labor intensive.
And, that is ok by me.
Whatever you might choose to do...you've given that quilt a new life.
And, saved another thing of beauty from the landfill.
I like to think they keep your heart warm as well as your body. 
 
Wherever you may be this day
BE WELL
from
Bird Nest Cottage
❤❤❤ 
 

 

1 comment:

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

I love that you rescued both of these quilts! They are both so pretty, and put together I'm sure with loving hands. (all quilts are!). I love the stitching around the smaller squares, in the light colors. Love the Ms. Teddy with her knitting too.. and that felt bed jacket.. me and my sisters had those when we were babies in the early 50's.. I remember keeping a few for years and years.. and years... but may have finally gotten rid of them. they were so precious. I'm glad Ms. Teddy B has hers to keep her warm. I did find my one quilt that my mom rescued. I may have to do something with it. My intention was to cut it up and make little pillows and stuffed animals, but to date, haven't had the heart to cut it up! You do inspire me though, to re-home it into something that someone else will find some comfort in. Take care.. Marilyn

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.