Monday, October 19, 2020

A Corner, A Door and A Mirror

 
 During my visit to the flea market on Wednesday, I saw THIS DOOR.
A very old door, just the "right" old faded door with chippy paint, a very tiny old knob and a nail or two already in it.
Of course, it got my attention right away.
I'm not sure you all know, but some of you do....I have two other old doors in my house.
And this one looks somewhat similar to the other two.
They aren't full size doors.
One I got from my son-in-law's old family store, where a lot of old family things were stored on the third floor.
The other two, from the flea market.  
One an old faded tan color, one green and this one...sort of tan with a grayish blue color in places.
And, like the others, this one called my name!

Old, faded, beat up, beautiful doors.

So, I brought it home.

 
That was Wednesday.
I promised Kathy I would not try to carry it in the house by myself.
It does weigh a 'ton.'
 But....around 9:00 that night I couldn't stand it any longer and decided I would TRY to bring it in the house by myself.
And, I did.  Funny...it didn't seem nearly as heavy as when she and I tried to get it in my car.
It was much easier that that green table I bought last year.
Once I got it in the house, I decided to try making a place for it in the dining room, which is where I had thought of putting it the minute I saw it.
But first, I knew I'd have to scrape all the loose chips off.
I like old chippy furniture....but I don't like loose chips...so I took my trusty scraper and went over the whole door.
And, then, I placed it where I thought it should go.  In THAT corner in the dining room.
It looked good to me!
Next, I thought about what else should be in the corner.
I knew I wanted the mannequin there, along with a lovely old apron I've had a while, a crocheted heart pincushion I have a collection of...but this one was perfect there.
A purse I had purchased from one of our new vendors.
Several rosaries from my collection.
One was my Dad's, one was my Father-in-law's and two are from two of my friends, 
Brian and Kevin.
There is a heart-shaped pin there with a real four leaf clover encased on the front, a heart-shaped necklace that says "listen to your heart," a crocheted piece left over from some project 
and, a strand of mother of pearl buttons and a little plastic heart added there just for fun.
Just a little collection of objects that I dearly love.

 
 At some point, I remembered I had also bought a mirror.  When I decided to buy it Wednesday, it wasn't because I actually had a need for it...it was just that for $5 I didn't want to leave it at the store!
                      I mean....you can put a mirror just about anywhere! So, I hung it on the door.

On the little knob, I hung a red metal heart...it made sense to me and over the door, I hung an old photograph of a lady, held in place by a gold and pearl pin.  One of my adopted relatives from long ago.

Then, I added that basket of flowers and just placed it in front of the door.  I've had that basket of flowers for at least twenty years!  They are made of a velvety fabric....I have not ever been able to let them go somewhere else.  Beside that basket is a little travel case decoupaged with copies of old ads.

Notice the chair.  It's a small chair and has the prettiest needlepoint cover on the seat.  Naturally, it seemed to me to be right at home there.  On the wall, a print of an old country home.  It is a signed print by Nelson Rhodes, and numbered 713/1000.  I have walked through that old house many times in my mind....it feels like a real home.  And outdoors....there is a quilt hanging on the fence, honeysuckle on the fence, flowers growing along the fence and a magnolia tree.  That door could be part of an old home like that.....just saying.          


 
 
  
So, it's a corner collection of a lot of things I love.  With that old door setting the "scene."  Couldn't  
                                                                    have more fun if I tried.

                                                       Wherever You May Be This Day

                                                                          BE WELL       
                                                                              from
                                                                    Bird Nest Cottage    

                                                                          ❤️❤️❤️

 

 

3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Charming old door. Lucky you had a place to put it. I hope someone doesn't try to use it as an exit. Ha ha.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

That corner is just lovely - filled with things you love! I love spots like that.. a place I can just gaze at and enjoy every little thing there. How can we ever get rid of those things? I don't know. I will take things like that to my grave I'm sure! That door is neat.. I've wanted chippy things like that in my house, but have never gotten into decorating much, even though we've been in his older house (1970's) for 5 years now. Everything is just kind of where it got plunked down.. and added to by stuff my hubby gets from the thrift store, and we have way too much furniture and nowhere for me to build any sort of vignettes. Oh well.. I tell him it's "cozy" and that's what's important. I love your "model" for the jewelry and bags, etc. Hope you are having a good week! Snow expected here this weekend as well as very cold temperatures! Hugs.. Marilyn

TinaTx said...

What a lovely corner!

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.