Monday, December 10, 2012

Three Chairs

Today I had the idea I'd do a little something with three of my 'little chairs.'  I have a collection of little chairs...from TINY, to kid's chairs even I can sit on.  Turns out I can hardly turn down a 'cute' chair at the flea market.  One of my 'kid's chairs' is from my own elementary school days.  I'm not sure it's one I actually sat on....but when our old school...H.G. Isbill Elementary in McGregor was torn down, my sister got one of the chairs for me.  It's in my living room...actually, that may be the chair that started me on the 'collecting of chairs' bug.   The little chair you see here is one I purchased at the flea market.  It was just a little chair, stained pine, I think.  But, in my mind, I saw it a bit differently.  So, I took it to the downtown studio, painted it flat black, then added some paper napkin art in the seat and on the back...(the birds).  Found a little poem about Spring and added it also.
Then, I took my electric sander to it to make it look 'old.'  Looks like lots of little people scooted across this little seat!  My friend, Patsy, gave me the bird sitting there.  So cute!
I decided to make three little 'vignettes' with my three little chairs.  And, could only add things already in the house.  I added this little tree, some pine cones, shredded paper sacks and cinnamon sticks to this cup and saucer.  It had to be in the photo.   The cup and saucer...yes, from the flea market.  Three or four dollars as I recall.
I wanted to use this clear glass vase of silk flowers.  It has lived in my backyard studio for quite a while, so carried it into the dining room to use in this vignette.  It is sitting on a cookie tin with Christmas card messages depicted on it.  A bird nest (no, not real, although I have a bunch of real ones), the vase is large and filled with river rocks and a little china bird in a nest.  Can you see it?
Here you can see the paper napkin I used on the little black chair.  Love the bird!
 Of course, when you want to give someone something, sometimes things break.  As Patsy was picking this bird up to bring to me...she accidently dropped it and a piece of it's wing broke off.  Oh, lucky people who craft....I had glue and some paint to match...and you'll never know where it broke!
 I've no idea how to really sand something to make it look old and used, but I think this chair looks pretty used!!
A look at the back.  There is also a little bird on the back of the chair...right by the seat on the left side, but it doesn't show in this photo.  Too bad.
Here is chair #2.  I bought this cute wing back chair several years ago at the flea market.  Loved it instantly.  I paid $9 for it and have really used it in lots of different spaces.  Sitting in it for this vignette, is a teddy bear I bought at one of our long ago closed flea markets, Room Service.  Loved that place.  Anyway, the chair is so cute.  It has a linen tea towel over back with a little garland of silk roses on one side.  Another find on the same day.  The bear was purchased at the same place...only later.  The lady that was working there that day told me the bear was her daughter's.  She was way grown and didn't want it any longer.  Imagine!  The bear's head comes off...which I find kind of weird...and you can hide little treasures in a compartment there, then screw the head back on.  I loved her little dress too.  On her lap is a tiny pitcher and bowl I also bought there.  I paid $5 for it and could not leave the building without it.  It's from England and so pretty!  
Here's a closeup.  Isn't this cute as can be?  I also decided I'd add the little pot of paper flowers made by my friend, Micah.  Just love it and had to buy it from her booth. 
Made from book pages, shredded paper, wire and it has a 'real' jewel in the flower center.  She had several, none with a P or an E, but, heck, my son's name begins with an S, so it made sense to me!  She painted the little pot with chalk paint.
The little birds were given to me by Bibi.  So cute.  Look at their little feet!!!  And,there is that nest and cookie tin again.
The pitcher and bowl....also the name on the bottom of each.  They are just so dear.  As you know, I am a pushover for flowers!!
I don't have any idea what it is really worth....and don't really care to tell the truth.  To me it is just so pretty, it is almost priceless!
The view from the back.  Just a simple little grouping.  I've no idea how to do anything complicated concerning decorating, so I just go with what I like....and what does it hurt?   Since I was just creating these little vignettes for this blog, I didn't think about it too much, but I wish I had put something on the table besides this white table cloth...you know...something to use as a rug!
Ok, chair #3.  It's funny, but I chose to sit this teddy bear on this chair and now you can only see the bear!!!  That just proves I don't really know what I'm doing.  Love the little table too.  It has real 'drop' leaves and is really cute.  I paid $4 for it.  No chairs.
My friend, Bibi, gave me these houses.  I think she purchased the large one and decorated it, then made the little one if I remember correctly.  They sit out in my backyard studio year round...
Friend, Jim, gave me this tea set...and the little Christmas tree.  Just fits on the little table. I love the way it looks!
I call this teddy bear my nearsighted librarian.  Sometimes she sits on or near a stack of books....and well, she does wear glasses!  She is also holding an old thread spool, so she's surely a quiltmaker too! On her lap is a small pincushion I made.
 And, there's old Santa over there.  Yeah, I guess Christmas is coming soon!
Now you can see the chair....once again...the view from the back.    Such FUN!
Here is Santa's bird house, and this little metal cat.  Looks very old, but isn't.  I like her though.
So, there you have it.  Three chairs in a Christmas mood.  Santa will be here soon...have you been good?  
This photo reminds me of ME.  She looks so very nearsighted and a bit off kilter.  Well, we do the best we can!  Sure hope you enjoyed the chairs and all.  Please visit again....I will be having a Christmas Giveaway very soon.  Meantime, take care, stay safe, warm and cozy!  Thanks for visiting! pat

8 comments:

Thearica said...

Your posts are always so delightful! Love your little chairs, bears, Santa and all! :)

Julie Fukuda said...

I have all kinds of little chairs and I might fix them up except I would have to make a new place for my little dolls to sit while I do.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OOOOH, cool stuff! As I read through the post I was picking my favorite items. So neat that you used items that you already have to mix up and create new holiday decor. I think your home must be a Wonderland ~lol~
xx, Carol

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love this idea, I decided to make little vignettes of christmas this year and I am enjoying it.

Cindy P said...

I can't pass up chairs either, Pat! I've hung them on the walls and put dolls on them. Used them as shelves for old books.

I collect thos paper houses too. They're called Putz houses. Some of the old ones are very valuable. I've never found a good source of instruction for making them. Looks like your friend has figured it out.

Great vignettes. I love everything.

Christy said...

Count me among the little chair people! haha. I have several, too. I also have a small park bench for a special doll. Pat, you did a great job in setting your Christmas scenes! Merry Merry to you and the Ol' Navy Man.
Christy
botm2@yahoo.com

Laurie said...

How cute! I love all your little vignettes, I would never have thought to put anything together this way, but you have given me some ideas!

Gaby Bee said...

Love and hugs to you my friend for the festive season. Hope it’s a fabulous Christmas for you and yours! Best wishes for the New Year and may all of your dreams come true for 2013!

I'm going to take a little break! I want to have a *no-pressure* season and spend time with my family!

Greetings from Germany,
Gaby

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.