Thursday, May 2, 2019

"New" Old Photographs


 For many years, I have collected old photographs.  I don't know why I am drawn to them, but I think it has something to do with THIS photograph.  I do not know what year this photograph was taken.  I never saw it until 2004.  This is my Dad's mother and one of his sisters.  My Grandmother's name was Margaret Williams, my Aunt was Marquerite.  His mom died during the influenza epidemic in Philadelphia in 1918.  She had eleven children and several of them (including my Dad) spent several years in a Catholic orphanage there.  He was nine years old when she died.  He lived in the orphanage from age nine until he lied about his age and joined the army.  He was assisted in that effort by my Aunt Marquerite, who signed the papers saying he was a year older than he really was.  My Dad retired from the army in 1954.   I have always wondered about her.  And, I know nothing about his Dad.  I suppose that is why I have always loved vintage photographs... 


 So, a couple of weeks ago, I ran across two old albums in the flea market...one of my Wednesday finds.  They are shown here in this photo.  One was a thinner album, held together by this piece of metal......like a book spine.  There are three loose photos, there on the left.  And the Album in the front held lots of portraits of men and women....I wonder who they were?  I always wonder who they were, what they did, where and how they lived.  This album also held a secret.  While I was looking at all the photos, one of the pages felt funny...I looked behind one of the photos and there were three tintypes in there.  Oh, My.  


 This photo was on the front of the thinner album.  I will never understand how they got that many kids all dressed up in white and ready at the same time, but there they are....pretty as a picture!


 These three are the loose photos...love the kids in these types of photos....


 Also in that album were several photographs of scenery...wonder where that is?


 And a few houses.


 Rivers and one of my favorite things...TREES!


 This is the heavier album...more photographs in it....


 I have always wondered what the people in these photographs are thinking as their picture is being taken.


 Guys and girls. 
All beautiful in their own way.


 What do you suppose she was thinking?


 Or these two?


 Here are the three tintypes I discovered.  I wonder why they were hidden behind other photographs?
Love that little kid there!
Yes, I always want to know what I will never know about them.  And, I think I want to know because I know so little about my Grandmother.
By the way.....
these albums were only $4.95 each.
Yes, a pittance for such wonderful new relatives!!!

until next time
BE WELL 
from 
Bird Nest Cottage
❤️❤️❤️

3 comments:

Shirlee Fassell said...

Love old pictures! Susan Lenz does some unique art with them her blog is “Art in Stitches”. Some of those “Carte de Visite” old pictures and tin types can be valuable.

Sherry said...

What treasures! Both the picture of your grandmother and aunt and your newly adopted ancestors! Each picture is a mystery with tantalizing clues to ponder. Like what it took to keep all those childrens' bright, white clothes clean in an era before electric washers, dryers and steam irons! I love your aunt's white outfit that even includes white shoes and stockings! Precious!

Sherry in Little Rock

Audra Jones said...

Treasures! I love old photographs, too. 😍 Audra

A Bit of Heaven

A Bit of Heaven
An original designed wall quilt with my vision of heaven on earth.